12/06/2005

Brick Sidewalks...How I Hate You

Whoever decided that "upgrading" city sidewalks to brick should be taken out back and shot. They've done this all over the place here and, while I will admit that they're pretty, they're really no good beyond the aesthetic.

I have nearly tripped or turned my ankle countless times on the uneven, wiggly bricks that no matter how much "repair" they do - and no matter how much "flattening" of the surface prior to laying the dumb things they do - seem to just be inherent in the design. I have slid on the ice and snow that you can never really effectively shovel off and no amount of salt really gets totally taken care of. Despite all of that, until just a few short hours ago, I still thought they were pretty and worth the extra little hassle.

No more. Today I got to know the dumb things more personally than anyone should ever get to know a sidewalk. Merrily picking my way across the ice, burdened with my ever present laptop and other bag, I had nearly reached my goal of the metro entrance, when a teeny patch of ice conspired with a big uneven jag to send me flying. And not just a little trip where you stumble and catch yourself, but a full fledged flop. *Bang* onto my knees with enough momentum to continue the sprawl onto an elbow and a wrist. My palm is skinned, my elbows are skinned and my knees haven't had this little skin on them since I was about 7.

And being older than I used to be. I now ache. I don't remember aching after a fall when I was little. But boy. Today I ache.

On the positive side, this morning I learned that there is still a little bit of kindness left in the general masses. Two gentlemen offered to help me up, four others asked if I was ok, and another retrieved all my far flung belongings. So while I might have preferred that no one noticed (because really, who trips on the sidewalk and goes flying? I think I got 10s from everyone but the Swedish judge.) it was nice that they managed not to laugh in my face while I resisted the urge to jump up and yell, "I meant to do that! Nothing to see...move along."

Now all I have to do is find a creative excuse for why my slacks are ripped.

No comments:

Post a Comment