2/06/2006

Catching up on the DVR

Finally managed yesterday to do a little catching up of things that have been recording away on the DVR but waiting for Tim to have time to watch them with me. The typical conversation on an evening where I feel like watching TV has gone something like this:
Me: I think I'll watch some TV.
Tim: Ok, I'm studying so I don't have time.
Me (scrolling through the DVR listings): Can I watch House?
Tim: No - I want to see that.
Me: How about Stargate?
Tim: No - I want to see that.
Me: 24?
Tim: What are you, crazy? I want to see that.
Me: How about Stargate Atlantis?
Tim: No - I want to see that.
Me: Um...all that's left is Criminal Minds, can I watch that?
Tim: Well, if there's nothing else I guess you can watch that.

So TV pickings have been slim. (This is, of course, excluding the CSIs and Dancing with the Stars that I manage to watch or skim through before this conversation takes place.) So yesterday Tim finally took a little break and we were able to watch the 24 season premiere. Yeah, you heard me. The season opener - taped on 1/16 and 1/17. If by some twist of bizarreness you haven't seen these yet and are planning to, look away cause I don't think blogger lets me make those cool fold-y things that Typepad/Wordpress let you make and there may be spoilers - if you've managed to live in a vaccum for a month.

First, may I just say that I am so glad football is over. Now they will stop going into overtime and making me miss the last 10 minutes of shows I'm recording like, oh, the last 10 minutes of the 2nd hour of the 1st two hour segment. Thankfully they always start up with "Previously on 24..." and you can basically figure it out. But I hate football. Hate it, hate it, hate it. (Of course, I do realize that now it'll be baseball and basketball that are preempting the good stuff on TV. I really think there ought to be a mandate that the stations can show the games before 7pm - if the game is going to go beyond that timeframe, then it needs to move to a sports channel so that people who seriously could not care less about the stupid things can still see stuff they want to see. I totally gave up on Cold Case, which is a pretty good show all things considered, because it was constantly being bumped backwards by stupid football and thus I'd get a good 25 minutes in to the show and *poof* it'd be over. Sure, the stations want to use this as a reason that they don't like DVRs and TiVos, but they need to get over it - cause people aren't going to stop recording things and suffer through stupid commercials once they've experienced the joy that is recorded television. After all, my DVR makes it possible for me to watch a season of 24 in 16 hours. That's some serious time-savings.)

Anyway...

Wow. Did they really have to kill of Palmer? That's very sad. And now he's reduced to making Allstate commercials. And if Tony doesn't live, someone in charge at Fox really needs to have their head examined. (And if this has already been resolved in the other episodes from this season that are still sitting on my DVR, please don't tell me.)

Favorite line thus far: "You're only conscious right now because I don't want to have to carry you."

I'm a little disappointed they brought Audrey back. She's just so...bleh. She tries to be this high-power career woman, but she's a whiney little brat who doesn't know what she wants. Last season I just came to loathe her. I wanted to grab her by the shoulders and shake her while yelling "You are separated from your husband and secure enough in this to shack up with Jack. You know Jack used to work for CTU - did you think he worked for the warm and fuzzy part of CTU? Why did you not realize that he gets the job done, regardless of what it takes and that's why he works for your dad?" And on and on. She's just such a wishy-washy female that there is absolutely no way for her to redeem herself in my eyes without doing something drastic like taking a bullet for Jack and dying so that he can maybe make it through a season without having to have his heart restarted.

Beyond that, no real thoughts other than it's looking to be a great season and now I've gotta figure out a way to tie Tim in front of the TV so I can watch the other episodes we have waiting for us.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:57 AM

    Beth, I normally don't comment but, your DVR post sounded way too much like my wife & I. Though we also fight over which shows to TiVo. For example, last year House M.D. (my show) coincided with the Amazing Race (her show) along with some other 'MUST' have show. Even after having dual tuners... it's still not enough. We need a quad tuner!

    The truth is, 99% of our TV watching is TiVo'd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad it's not just us. :) We have a few conflict issues but so far have been able to catch re-runs of things (like all the SciFi Friday shows) that make harmony possile. Esp. since we're still a single tuner home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TiVo is proof positive of God's grace towards us. I don't think I have watched a single episode of any show when it was actually broadcast. live viewing is reserved for Carton Network, Nicktoons and Toon Disney. A house full of kids will do that. But they go to sleep and I try to catch up on my shows. I still have most of the season of Smallville to view yet. And Battlestar Galactica. The challenge is to not have your loud mouth friends spoil everything you still plan to watch.

    ReplyDelete