5/18/2006

DVRs: Only as smart as the people programming them...

So...four weeks ago, I happened to be catching up on some old stuff on the DVR when it began taping 24. No biggie, it does this all the time and is happy, you watch old stuff, it gets new stuff that you can watch when it has aged enough to have the certain patina necessary for enjoyable viewing.

When I finished my show I deleted it and then went to the search menu to see if there were any new 24 season 3 episodes coming up (since we haven't seen season 3 yet and A&E is rerunning them). There were, and it was good. So I added those to the timer. And noticed that the little happy red light of recording had turned off on the DVR.

"Noooooooo!" I hollered, frantically pressing the cancel button to get to the live view. And there went 24, merrily broadcasting without my DVR capturing the precious seconds of Jack and, I hoped, the impending demise of Audrey. So I frantically pushed record, told it to stop recording at the end of the event. Hit yes. And went on about my business.

Hitting yes turns out to have been a bad idea.

Remember when I told you that, as of this weekend, we were only Monday night's episode behind? Well that's because I erased the 24 timer and missed 2 episodes.

I could cry. Tim could cry. I'm pretty sure the puppies could cry.

All that whining I did about the President's speech messing up my timers? Turns out it's good he did a speech, cause it got us back on track for the last 3 episodes of the season.

Thankfully I have Jen and Dave Barry. Oh, and the episode summaries at Fox's website. But according to Tim, I'm now on DVR Remote Probation.

5 comments:

  1. I'm on DVR Remote Probation also, because I "accidentally" turned off the time for all NASCAR races. ;-) They were hogging up valuable DVR time (I like to know that I still have close to 90 hours left of recording time in case I ever get the idea of recording something besides Office), and hubby never watches the recorded versions anyway, only the last 10 laps. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Like most inmates will tell you, it was not my fault. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a ruthless deleter, otherwise I'd offer to download them to VHS. For a better recap, check out Television Without Pity. Very detailed, hilarious recaps are available for all episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll back you up, Gwynne - yerk, NASCAR. *shudder* :)

    Jen, thanks for the TWOP link I'll go check them out. After the recap from Fox last night (they're actually pretty detailed also) we're feeling like we know what's going on, but we missed the two episodes with Jack on the plane. Which means we also missed Chloe tasering the guy in the bar, which I was really looking forward to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:11 PM

    I think there are some not-so-legal Internet sites where you can download the missing episodes. I had to do that once. You might use your Internet savvy and see if you can get them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm...illegal downloads. ;) Thanks for the tip Michelle - and you usually such a straight arrow!

    Wonder if iTunes has it - I'd actually pay if I can get it from them (I love Apple...can't help rooting for the underdog.)

    ReplyDelete