7/28/2006

A Bloggy Tour of Homes

If you all haven't noticed and gone on to see, I've added Rocks in my Dryer to my blogroll - I was consistently surfing over to her through Queen Beth's place and, well, I decided it was high time I just added her to my own blogroll. Anyway, I now randomly and repeatedly surf Shannon's blogroll and happened upon BooMama who I have not yet added to my own blogroll but that's more than likely in the nearish future. Anyway, BooMama is having a "Bloggy Tour of Homes" today and I've always been a sucker for tours of homes. In fact, I'm one of those people who goes to see model homes and asks all kinds of questions and gets realtors all excited when, in actuality, I'm just looking cause I love seeing houses. So, as this is the closest any home I own is ever going to get to being included in a tour of homes, I figured I had nothing to lose by not participating. If you want to participate, the "rules" are here and BooMama said it was fine if you didn't get your post up until Saturday, so...you've got a whole extra day to participate. So go get clickin'!

We begin our tour with the front door - pretty surprising way to enter the house, actually, for anyone in the Sleepy family. Mostly we come in through the garage and so entering through the front door is a bit of an occasion. (Unless you're the pizza man, in which case you are very familiar with our front door.) It's not quite as much of an occasion as the front door was for me growing up - that door was opened so seldom that it actually stuck rather badly and often I recall running to the kitchen door and going through and saying "Come in this way!", much to the mortification of my mother. Our front door isn't quite that formal, however, and still opens just fine.


I promise you the door's not crooked and I'm not intoxicated - I was trying to avoid stepping on a frog.

The second photo is actually downstairs, in the basement, and is the office. It's where blogging and all manner of other computer activities take place. For example, Tim is currently on his computer killing aliens and other manner of bad guys whilst I type this up.

Many LAN battles have been known to take place here as well. Please excuse the messy desk, I'm also in the midst of organizing things.

Handily, the third photo is to be of our main living area, which is probably the theater. (This is handy because it's just down the hallway from the office, so it's a little more "tour like" to go from the office to the theater.) While not our living room, per se, it's definitely where we do the majority of hanging out, watching TV, listening to music (cause that's where the super good speakers are) and so forth.

See? Even Meg really likes the theater. And that's the corner of our popcorn machine. Sadly it's best as a decorative item than for the popcorn it produces, though we're working on something to try and keep it hot (which would add to the excitement considerably. I'm just not a big fan of cold popcorn. Neither, really, is Tim. Thus we usually just zap it.)

The fourth stop on our mini tour is the kitchen. I was glad to see that with these tiny pictures you can't see the state of my kitchen because, well, I just got over having company for seven weeks (yes, you read that right, seven!) and I haven't had a chance to break out the mop.


I tried to angle it a little better so you could see my Bing & Grondahl plates (they're the Mother's Day and the Christmas plates - I've got them interspersed), but alas you can only catch a glimpse on the far left wall. I really like them though. I think they finish the kitchen nicely.

The door goes to the garage - that's really our front door!

Oh, and that backsplash? I did that! (Well, Tim cut the tiles, but I put them up and grouted them.) It was our first real tiling job and we couldn't be happier with the results - so if you're at all handy and are considering tiling, I say go for it, it's tons of fun!

And I just realized my tablecloth isn't straight - that's gonna drive me nuts. But I will just attempt to resist the urge to go up there and fix it and take another picture.

The last stop was our choice and, well, I couldn't decide between the music room and the library. (I know it sounds impressive and snooty, but it's not really - it's just that there's two of us rattling around in this house that we bought while planning for kids, before we knew we weren't going to be able to have any, so we had to do something or the house was just this frustrating reminder of that lack. So the music room is the living room, converted to hold the piano and the library is one of the bedrooms - and really, I did need the book storage space, and it's just a lovely place to go and relax.)

So this is the "Music Room" - it's such a fun shade of red and so fittingly named (Drum Beat!) - I love to go in there and plunk on the piano (but only when no one is around to listen - I detest playing for an audience. And if I know that someone in the house probably has their ears perked, I flub much more than if I can convince myself that no one is home. The puppies are exempt from that, as they just seem to arrange themselves to listen quietly at my feet. It's very soothing.) The curtains have funky velvety starburst kind of things on them. They're from Ikea and when I saw how well they matched the red, well, I couldn't not buy them! And I love how they pool on the floor - I know I should hem them, but it just seems very Victorian to have them pooled there and it's lots of fun - when I'm not vaccuming.

Meg is apparently a photo-hog this evening - those are her ears.


Finally, the library. You can see the comfy couch and the ubiquitous Papasan chair - both delicious places to curl up and just read for hours.

For those who are interested, yes, my books are shelved in an order - they're grouped by subject area (SciFi, Fantasy, Mystery, etc.) and then alphabetical by author.

And yes, I know they make medication for that.

(But it really does make it easier to find things!)

Oh - and that color on the walls? Not actually the same as in the music room - this one is called Cranberry Zing and is a more orangey-burgandyish color than the red-red downstairs.

And that, my friends, is an abbreviated tour of my home. If you're just passing by on your own tour of the tour, I hope you'll comment and say howdy! And please do go visit other tours - BooMama has a Mr. Linky set up here.

33 comments:

  1. Beautiful, and wow, a music room, how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pfft to medication, that's why libraries catalog their materials so it makes sense to do it at home!

    Good to know about the popcorn machine!
    !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:17 AM

    What a great house, I love the red and your theater. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:41 AM

    I justlove your home! And it's funny, but it's just what I would have imagined your home would be like! It's so totally cool!! And I LOVE the theatre!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mean, you don't use the Dewey Decimal system? ;-) Love your home, especially the colors on the walls. And to have a music room...and a theatre...and a library? Well, that is pretty snooty, just admit it and be done. ;-) Love your home! No wonder your "guests" refused to leave for 7 weeks! I'll see about taking a tour later today (when I'm actually at home...a tour of my office is...well, less than inspirational).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:48 AM

    You have a beautiful home! Thanks for the tour! Your dog gave your home a more personal feel.

    -gena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your home is filled with the things help make it warm & welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww, I hope to have a music room one day, just wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful home. Just like I like them--not too decorated, but some nice touches. I like Meg, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very lovely. Thanks for sharing:-)>
    Have A Great Weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:38 PM

    Very pretty...I love that table cloth in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful home you have and I just love the colour of the music room!! I love it when people aren't afraid to use bold colours on their walls...lovely!! Oh and did you know your tablecloth is a bit crooked??? hehe just teasing you!! Everything looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a great house Beth! It's the sort of house I would like. I love the idea of the library (as well as the music room, computer room that lans can be played in and theatre!). I also organise my books. Would like to be as organised as you but just don't have the space yet - Until I get my own library hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great house and my hubby would DIE FOR a theatre like that LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, all! :) (For stopping by and your kind comments.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1:09 AM

    Great house!! Love the colors!!
    And... I am glad that you avoided the frog. I was sure to walk at an angle when I entered your front door. Tee hee!
    Blessings! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh so many great things about your home- the music room, the theatre. Beautifully decorated too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous10:49 AM

    My favorite has to be your library. I would love a place like that in my home where I could cuddle up with a good book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. Great home. The colours are terrific. Really like the library..it's the favorite place in my home too!
    Thanks for allowing the peek and come visit mine when you get the chance.

    Rena

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! I can't get over all these beautiful homes. I have been trying to convince DH to let me have a papasan chair and he won't cave. My Dining room is a deep red!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely home! That's a very cool theater, and I love the colors you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous8:55 PM

    I really like your house! Thanks for the tour :) I am going to paint our den (where all the music gets played in our house) red, and yours looks like the perfect shade. Your blog made me laugh too :D Have a great day and hope you find a little time to stop by my place!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love that red!! Your home is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a cozy home. The tablecloth on your table just makes that room - it's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your kitchen colors! So cheery! And wow! great job on the tiling!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You do have a pretty home. It's neat how you & your husband are doing so much of the work by yourselves. The tile backsplash looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous11:37 AM

    I've seen a lot of design shows where they intentionally make the curtains so they pool on the floor, it's very in. My curtains are 6" too short and I try to tell myself that they are "In", but...they aren't. Great home!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very chic and hip! A music room, a library, and a theater room... sounds wonderful... I think I shall add these items to my "what I want in a home" list!! Thank you for opening up your home to us... it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very beautiful home!
    The library is very charming!
    Thanks for sharing these great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  30. How Beautiful!! I finally got around to posting my tour...I have a music corner...not quite a room, but I love it just the same...oh and you can't miss my orange walls...literally : )

    ReplyDelete
  31. Our piano is crammed into our school room; it would be so nice if it had its own space with red walls! Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've stepped on a frog before... barefooted. It's not fun, so I understand the crooked picture vs. dead frog idea.

    Love your use of color, especially in the library. Where else should you have the fire to let your imaginations go wild?

    Thank you for sharing your lovely home with us!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love all the red. Those curtains look great! Thanks for the tour of your home!

    ReplyDelete