8/17/2006

Spoiled? Naaaah.

I'm fairly convinced that our dogs now eat better than we do. I'm looking for someone to blame, but fear that ultimately that blame will have to rest with me. After all, I did take my vet's instructions to heart.

A month or so ago it was time for Meg's annual checkup. Our vet is open on Saturdays (which I love - so much more convenient!) and on Saturdays they very often have one of their part-time vets who breeds shelties in the office. I adore it when she's there because the girls just respond to her so much better than to any of the other vets (who are all very nice and get along fine with the girls, don't get me wrong, but this one just exudes love - all the tails in the room perk up when she enters. She just very clearly was meant to work with animals.) It's espeically nice when she's around for Meg's visit as Meg is a bit of a scaredy-dog with strangers in general (and by strangers, I mean anyone she hasn't had at least six months of fairly constant but low expectation contact with), and vets in particular. Typically she just cowers on my lap in the waiting room, quivering and dropping so much hair that I figure she'll be bald by the time we leave. But even Meg wags her tail (tucked between her legs though it is) when this vet comes out. (If you've never seen a dog with their tail firmly tucked between their legs wag their tail in that same position, you really must. It's positively hillarious.)

Anyway, one of the routine questions our vets always ask is what we feed the girls. For years we have struggled with getting Meg to eat. It turned into a nearly hour long process of "Meg - eat your food." (point at the bowl, keep stern face) "Eat!" Whereafter, Meg would walk to her bowl, stick her nose in, find that it hadn't morphed into people food, look back at you with a "Really? You're sure?" expression and then plop down on her belly and just sit there. Staring. No picky two year old has ever out pickied Meg when it comes to eating. Eventually she would either eat, or we would pick up the bowl and let her have a go later, usually with a very parental speech. You know the one, "Don't come to me when you're hungry later. This is all you get to eat until it's finished." And so forth.

(Of course, as with real children, I'm guessing these speeches are only effective if both mommy and daddy are consistent and not sneaking jerky treats or snausages to the dog because they feel bad and she must surely be hungry. Probably even less effective when the one making the speech is the one sneaking the treats.)

Well, this was the standard feeding procedure (SFP?) until Meg got pancreatitis. First off, let me say this condition has the most foul smelling byproduct I have ever encountered in my life. Reek does not even begin to describe. If you've not experienced it, well, one, you'll never understand and two, count your blessings up down and sideways. After this lovely little experience, which included two days in the hospital for the little one (nearly killing mommy, let me tell you) we had to start her slowly back on food with prescription canned food. Which we did. Gradually mixing in the dry food until we were back to all dry food and the twice-daily routine of "Meg, eat your food!"

Then the lightbulbs went off. She ate the 50/50 mix of wet/dry. So, despite the fact that a previous vet had told us that we shouldn't feed wet food, it's bad for them, bad for their teeth, etc. etc., we switched to the 50/50 for both of the girls. Dinner time was no longer a chore - in fact, they would race around in circles of excitement when it was dinner time and Meg needed very little coaxing (unless you didn't do a good enough mixing job) to eat. But in the back of my mind, I knew I was doing a bad, bad thing - something along the lines of letting the only food your six year old eats be macaroni and cheese with nary a vegetable or fruit. But I still figured some nutrition was better than none.

Thus, when the vet asked this time around, I cleared my throat and muttered quietly, "Um, well, we mix wet food with the dry." And then I jumped in with all my justifications, only to be cut off and floored when the vet said:

"It's even better if you switch them to all canned." She must have seen my jaw on the floor because she smiled and continued, "Dogs are the original Atkins. And that one," she pointed to Cassi who, like mommy, has a bit of a weight issue, "will do much better with weight control if she's just on canned. You can feed them more and they'll weigh less and be more active, healthier. Dogs aren't really designed to eat corn byproducts. I used to make my own dog food, now I buy it - remind me when you check out and I'll write down the brands that are good, cause you do want it to be a good quality food if you do this."

When I stuttered out the former reprimand about dry food she just laughed and explained that at vet school you learn for weeks how to feed a cow and what adjustments to make this way or that to do this, that or the other thing, but domestic pet feeding is all lumped into two weeks and is primarily people from Purina and other feed companies coming in to tell you about their products. Since she decided to breed dogs she took it upon herself to do more education on the care and feeding of dogs. But she did also say there's nothing wrong with the dry food if your dog will eat it and is happy - it's just not the best thing in the world for them.

So, last week, when it was clear we were nearing the end of the dry/wet combo we had been feeding them, I dragged out my notes from the vet and went online to order from one of the recommended companies. The cost is pretty comparable to what we had been spending, and they ship free, so I just got a variety pack to see what their flavors were and see if the girls had a favorite.

Tim about died as he unpacked the box. He read off the labels: "Cowboy Cookout? Turducken? Wild Buffalo Grill? Grammy's Pot Pie? Campfire Trout Feast? Working Dog Stew? Thanksgiving Day Dinner? Venison Holiday Stew? Mediterranean Banquet? Napa Valley Picnic?" He just shook his head and muttered something about "spoiled". We got a good laugh out of reading the can after we served the girls their Campfire Trout Feast - they give you a little story to go with it, to set the mood for the meal I guess, in this case "You're on the banks of the Rio Grande River next to a campfire with your beloved dog. Under the stars, the two of you feast on freshwater trout and all of the fixins'. Life is good. Campfire Trout Feast is prepared with Trout, Yukon Gold Potatoes, Carrots, Zucchini, & Fuji Apples." And if you read the ingredients? That's what's in there - well, that and some vitamin supplements that read just like off my multi-vitamin bottle. No by-products. No weird sounding chemicals or colors. I think, in a pinch, Tim and I could eat this and be just fine (I say in a pinch cause, well, it's still all chunked/mushed up and coming out of a dog food can.)

So far the girls appear to be in heaven. And I've seen Tim casting a few sideways glances to the gourmet meals the girls get when presented with "Week in Review" for his dinner. Yeah, now it's, "Tim. Eat your food." (Stern look and a point to his plate.) "Eat."

12 comments:

  1. Heh ;-)

    So, what brand of food is this? Our dogs are currently on the very-high-priced-dry-weight-control-prescription-only-diet. They both need to lose weight but would love to be eating trout and yukon potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheesh - ok, trying for the 3rd time. I'm not going to link to the site though since blogger seems to be having issues with a tags. Anyway, it's Merrick brand.

    I didn't think Smokey looked chubby - poor baby. I know Cassi hates dieting (and, really, who can blame her?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smokey got chubby over the past year, with the decreased thyroid function...the vet suggested he needed to lose about 15 pounds which is like 22% of his body weight and put him on boring prescription food. I suggested that I would also like a prescription. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to lose weight if we just ate our boring prescription diet kibble every day, taking away our ability to choose or enjoy food? Poor doggies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:50 PM

    Eric pointed me here and told me that Abbye was very interested. I'm thinking of ordering some of these for our own meals, but we'd have to be careful what we 'try' to feed Abbye. A few months ago, I bought some 'natural' dog food whose ingredients sounded much like some of the Merrick products, potatoes, green beans, rice... Abbye turned up her carnivorous little nose. She's definitely Atkins all the way. Of course, if she didn't eat this dog food, well, Eric will make a burrito out of just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gwynne - That's about the percentage that Cassi needed to lose. She could still lose 1 or 2 pounds, but she's a trim 24lbs now and if she just maintains, I'll be good with that.

    Eric (and Debbie! Oh my, TLB! :) ) - They have "plain" beef (which the girls tried tonight and it was the biggest hit yet) and some other non-gourmet (read: not weird like buffalo or trout, which I'll admit are out there) flavors, so I might try those first. The other brand our vet recommended was Wellness. She also recommends the Merrick Phat Flossies for tooth care (vs. dry food or science diet, which she positively rolls her eyes and says you're better off with cardboard from a taste standpoint when we tried that with the girls). On the flossies, Cassi likes them but Meg has never been a chewer, so they're an occasional nibble here or there but mostly just a solid "eh". So we're stuck with just brushing their teeth as often as we can remember to do it. I will say re: the canned food, the makeup clearly looks weighted on the carnivore side of things with the veggies thrown in for color. If Abbye does give them a taste, I'd love to know her thoughts! :)

    Eric - those are definitely famous last words, especially from someone who'll make a burrito out of anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet my Mac would love it too. I feed him some organic stuff (because it had a low fat content to it) and it was like he just sucked it all up! Poof gone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:01 AM

    Too funny! I've never owned a dog, but I can just picture your veterinarian experiences.

    By the way, Ireland was a BLAST. We loved the Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel, and found a new place to recommend to you and Tim called Enniscoe (county Mayo). Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth - Have been making dog food for eons. It's not hard. I have quite a few dog food cookbooks. Will be happy to share recipes if you're interested. Even have some "breed" specific recipes. As well as "diet," "finicky eaters," "intestinal disruption" recipes, etc. Started years ago making food for a Rottweiler – wanted to supplement his “dry” food. Kept it very basic. Until he was diagnosed with TCC [triple cell carcinoma] and then went all-out with the antioxidant diet. Adopted an abused Great Dane from a rescue league shortly after we lost our beloved Sergeant to cancer. I was NOT going to be making dog food any more. Ha! Found out shortly after we adopted The Boy that we’d be moving to Saudi Arabia. The dog food here, in the Mid-East, is highly lacking, to say the least. [Today a shipment of 400 pounds of dog food from the States is being delivered!] So, I’ve been making ALL of The Boy’s food until just recently – several months ago I adopted a sister for The Boy – and now we have The Boy and The Baby, a seven month old, black [oh such a perfect color for this desert sun and heat!] Standard Poodle. During our last trip to the States I bought ten forty-pound bags of dog food which I’ve had shipped to Saudi Arabia. It is costing a small fortune to ship the food – more than I paid for it – and it’s not Science Diet [not a good brand, if you ask me, just read the label – first ingredient – chicken or lamb by-products!] or some other “specialty” brand. It is just part of the cost of living in The Sandbox. I will continue to make food and supplement the food I make with a cup or two of dry food. Making the food – I do it in industrial size batches – and freeze it – really is not difficult. Again, I’m more than willing to share recipes I have and the names of the cookbooks. Just let me know…

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:57 PM

    hello, I recently purchased one of the merrick products (cowboy cookout)and I would like to know if after Marshmallow (my dog) finishes the first bag, can I buy him a different flavor like the chicken, or the turkey one? Is it gonna be bad for his stomach? By the way is dry food. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hm. Now, I'm not a vet, so take this with a grain of salt. That said, I would think you'll be fine getting a different flavor. However, what you might to if you're worried about a sensitive tummy is ease him slowly from the old flavor to the new by mixing 1/2 and 1/2 (old with new) then gradually decreasing the old flavor and increasing the new until you're doing all new and the old bag is empty. That's what we do usually when we're switching flavors.

    ReplyDelete