10/31/2006

Happy Halloween!

Halloween, for me, has always been kinda fun but I'm not one of those crazy Halloween people who go all nuts and create haunted houses on their lawns. Though it's tempting, it's just too much effort. I have two requirements for a Happy Halloween and, handily, they're very easy to fulfil.

Requirement one: Candy. Lots of candy. I don't have to eat it (in fact it's best if I'm not the one eating it) but I love handing out candy. It's always a bit disappointing though as our house is kind of in a less used part of the neighborhood (good 99% of the time) and so many families don't trek down our little cul-de-sac. Which is very sad. For me. Not for those who do make the trek and end up with HUGE handsful of candy. Anyway, I swear one of these years I'm just going to go ahead and actually do what I always say I'm going to do and hand out full size candy bars. As it is, I have purchased more candy than it's possible we'll ever need. This is not a bad thing.

Requirement two: Punkins! Sadly this year we have no punkin. I'm very annoyed with myself for letting it get to this state - I may have to try and find something in the picked over bins on my way home from work just so I have something to put on my stoop.

However, the matter of punkin carving is apparently a hot topic these days. I tend to agree with Robert, though I have tried my hand at the artistic carvings - simply from the standpoint that it can look cool if done properly and might've been interesting for centerpieces at other times in the year. Sadly, as it the case with most artistic endeavors other than some small exceptions, pumpkin carving other than goofy or toothy generic faces excapes my skill. Yes, even with the whole template and hole poking and all that. Not. Going. To. Happen.

That said, I will allow that the pumpkin carving tools that come with said little sets are really much easier to use than the average steak knife (my previous tool of choice) that inevitably ends up with some red added to the the lovely pumpkin orange. (Though one could say that lends to the realism if you're going for Vampire Pumpkin.)

The rest - the whole dressing up thing is very cute for kids - and oh, all you teens out there, if you can't be bothered to dress up as something other than a lazy teenager, don't bother ringing my bell - but not so much for adults. The scary thing - eh, whatever.

Candy and pumpkins, people. Candy and pumpkins.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Halloween! We live out in the country, so nary a trick-or-treater for us. But it's the day I met my husband so there's a possible dinner celebration in it for us. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun in sugar heaven today hehe. I gave out some lollies at our alternative halloween party at Church but sadly they were sugar free - kids seem to enjoy them anyway!

    ReplyDelete