10/10/2006

TV Tales (possibly spoilerish)

Following are various and sundry thoughts from the DVR - there are more than likely spoilers herein, so proceed with caution if you're not caught up with The Amazing Race (and probably NCIS) I think the rest of the commentary is fairly general.

Heroes - I enjoyed the first episode and was looking forward to the second. However, it's taken a turn for the serious-creepy and now I'm not sure that I'll actually be able to watch for much longer (there's really very little point in watching a show that has you hiding your face under a blanket and asking Tim if it's safe yet.) That and...when are the characters actually going to develop? We have all these weird little snapshots of people, but there's no depth or even really hints of depth. And it's just all a little too ADD - flitting here and there with no sembalance of reason that I can find. We'll see. I'll give it another few episodes but it's shifting slowly into the Battlestar Gallactica category for me.

Vanished - I'm bummed they're moving this to Friday nights, I'm guessing that's its death knell. Hopefully they'll air the whole season so we can get to the end of this mystery (and another thing that happened this past episode kind of also makes me think that it might be on its way to the series graveyard, but I'll avoid that spoiler for now.) Overall, if it does get cancelled I don't know that I'll be amazingly surprised, but I'll be disappointed. I've been enjoying it.

Dr. Who - I was skeptical of the new Doctor...I really liked Christopher Eccleston and figured he'd be a tough act to follow. Thus far, I'm really pleased with the new guy. The writers have done a good job just making a point of the whole, yep, new guy here - so it's not like in some shows where an actor will change and you're just supposed to ignore it. So far, quite an enjoyable season and I'm looking forward to further episodes.

CSI: Las Vegas - Is it bad that they have the talking corpse episode this early in the season? I just kind of wonder if they feel like they're running out of creative ideas.

CSI: Miami - *Sigh* Is there ever going to be a situation where Horatio doesn't manage to give his business card to a child who is then able to call him so that he can save the day? And what was up with the whole walking off into the sunset thing at the end of the episode? I guess I can see if the CSI team was there - but um, why was Alex along? She's the coroner, not part of the team.

CSI: New York - This is still probably my favorite of the franchise.

NCIS - Ok. Glad Gibbs is back. He needs to lose the mustache, however. And I really kind of wish Tony had taken the assignment...or that he'd grow up. One of the two really needs to occur.
The Amazing Race - Last week I watched the episode on fast forward. It just didn't hold my interest. This week I did manage to watch the whole thing and have a few thoughts of a spoilerish variety, but this won't be a full-blown recap:

  • Alabama catty is still amazingly catty and I shudder that they think they're being rolemodels for their kids. Yes, it's cool they're there and doing this, but if you can't demonstrate grace under pressure, are you really making a positive impact for your kids? Everytime they're doing their little confessional - scratch that, every time they open their mouths - I just cringe. Such hateful, small women.
  • The Kentucky chick is rapidly turning into a whiner and irritating me.
  • I laughed so hard when the Barbies thought they had to row to the Pit Stop. I really wish they'd stuck to that thought process. I also really wish they'd go just one day without dressing like too cute for words twins.
  • Peter. I'm not sure there are words to express how far my opinion of him has fallen. I'm glad Sarah's patience with him is thinning as well. Wish there was a way for her to dump him and just finish on her own - I think she'd be better off. The editing on the climbing challenge was priceless - her working her arse off, stressed and frustrated, and him being patronizing down below, laid back and drinking his soda. Especially when he turned into such a whiner on the basket harvest.

1 comment:

  1. SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

    Vanished: Ah, Fridays. I couldn't figure out when it was going to be on since Justice is moving to that slot on Mondays. Thanks for that tip. As for the plot twist (re: Kelton) in the last episode, I was surprised at that move this early in the season. Unless you are correct and this is the only season.

    NCIS: Agreed on all. Except that I can't help but wonder if the show would still hold my interest without Tony. I don't know.

    TAR: I'm on board with your assessment of Alabama. Your comments about Peter are why we love TAR - the foibles of man come to the forefront and make for interesting TV.

    ReplyDelete