11/13/2006

Like it or not, I'm a morning person

When the alarm went off at 5:3o this morning and I continued to just lay there, Tim asked if I wanted to sleep in. Since I'm still fighting this cold, I mumbled something that was in the affirmative sounding segment of the "I'm still asleep, please don't make me wake up" vocabulary and the alarm was therefore reset. (I've determined it's officially just a cold based on the fact that the other alternatives I was considering, specifically Spotted Owl Disease and Ebola, would both have killed me by now and, as I'm not yet dead, I figure the cold is more likely.) This was repeated again at 6:30 and thus, when I finally awoke enough to drag myself out of bed, it was just coming up on 8:00.

This put us at work right around 9:30, which means we can't go home until 6.

As we drove in, Tim and I discussed the relative merits of switching to this schedule for the next little while because it would alleviate the need for me to slug home in the afternoons, since Tim is feeling the need to be in his lab later into the day until they finish up with their next deadline. I dont' mind slugging home most days. (Other than the fact that there are some really bad drivers who think it's ok to pick up random strangers and then subject them to their bad driving in person.) The thing that I come close to "minding" is that it takes longer to get home, what with the metro ride to the slug line and then the inevitable wait for a car going to where I left my car, it adds about 45 minutes to the process. And it's wasted time because I get carsick, seriously carsick, if I try to read in a moving anything (metro, car, whatever. Just not a good combo.) But it's still a free ride home, and you've got to give that consideration.

So I was all set to switch to this schedule for a bit. Right up until about 4:10. When I realized that I really wanted to go home at the same time I realized I still had about 2 hours of work that needed to be done. And then I started doing mental calculations of what time that was going to put us home, then add in dinner, and what time that meant I would be able to start on some homework...Yeah, it's just not going to work.

I guess what it boils down to is that I'm much more productive between 7 and 4ish than I am between 9:30 and 6. So as much as I may hate that 5:30 alarm, all things considered, it's the better option.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:41 AM

    I wish people like you could bottle up some Morning Person Elixir and sell it to those of us who would sleep until 1:00PM if we could. I'm sooo not a morning person, but my husband is. He's his best at 7:00AM and I'm my best at 8:00PM. Adds yet another interesting dimension to the adventure that is marriage. :)

    I hope you are feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, I think it may be a mandatory thing to marry someone who is your opposite. Tim is a night person and more awake and productive after 10pm then any other time. The morning person elixir is a good idea though, I'll look into it. ;) (Of course, I'd go for some night person elixir, myself.)

    I am feeling much better, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:04 AM

    5:30 is rough, but doable. I like having more of an evening to myself, personally. That's our schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle, I agree that it's doable and I love having a real evening where I can get stuff done instead of eat and go to bed. So, in all it's worth it. My big problem is that it means I really need to try and get to sleep by 10 at the latest. That just makes me feel...lame. :)

    ReplyDelete