12/08/2006

Friday Food for Thought

I have a million thoughts rattling around in my head, but I can't pin them down on paper (or electrons, as the case may be) just yet, so instead I thought I'd just link to a few thought provoking posts from this week, in case you missed 'em.

Robbo stopped worrying and embraced Jihad , and as with many of Llama posts, the comments are a fascinating extention of the discussion.

Then there was the whole trans-fat ban and it sparked a few comments by Gwynne and more by Jim (opposing views, as it turns out.) I have thoughts on this, but I can't solidify them just yet. (Pun marginally intended.)

Last, but decidedly not least, Karen at The Naked Ovary who recently brought her little girl home from China has a wonderful post up about terminology and its misuse - even those who mean well. Something like this (heck, this exactly) should be required reading for anyone who might ever accidentally know someone who heard about adoption. In other words, the entire universe*.

If you missed them or you have something that I missed that is worthy of mention, leave a comment - I'm always up for good weekend reading.

*Yes, even Martians. (You may have to scroll into the comments to see where Martians are mentioned, but heck, if they're there, then we ought to just educate them know, cause can Interplanetary Adoption be far behind?)

2 comments:

  1. That post of Karen's was definitely worth reading (and what's not to love about her blog name...splendid)! As a step-mother and step-sister, I also find myself saying stupid stuff like this all the time without realizing how it comes across to others. We could all use a little sensitivity training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed Karen's post. She's so right. I used to say that kind of thing, too. It's weird finding words other than "own" or "biological". My mother-in-law still uses such quaint language as "natural" child (vs what? "unnatural"?). /sigh

    ReplyDelete