3/21/2007

Last Days, Etc.

So yesterday I had the joy of my exit interview. I've never actually had one of these before - I suppose they don't do them if you resign? I don't know. Regardless, since my contract ended and my company's need for me along with the contract, they wanted to know things like how I would rate their leadership skills on a scale of 1 to 5. I answered honestly, which was perhaps not the right thing to do, but at the end of the day, I don't think anyone actually suspected that I had ever completely partaken of their particular brand of kool-aid. The HR harpie was irritated and spent lots of time trying to convince me that how I felt was wrong. I just smiled and told her that I failed to see how anything productive or beneficial could come out of further conversation. And so that was that. It's actually fairly refreshing to no longer be under their thumb, even though I'm not sure what lies ahead.

I had a good interview last Friday and something may come of it - but that's yet to be seen. I have some follow up with them later this week and then, presumably, will get some sort of offer. Though honestly, I don't know that it's what I want. Then again, I don't know that I don't want it. I'm just praying that God will keep it simple and only have the offer come through if it is indeed what I'm supposed to do.

Much of my family feels that I need to just take time off and stay at home. And we could live on Tim's salary if we stopped our retirement investments and did very little in the realm of entertainment spending. And if or when a baby comes along this is certainly our plan. But I'm having a difficult time explaining that I don't see the purpose behind making those changes now for, what feels to me at least, no good reason. I'm perfectly capable of working and should (or so it seems) be grateful of any opportunity at this point to continue to save for the future against the time when we won't be able to do so.

And I can't help but be a little irritated about that fact that I'm even in this situation when the grand plan for my life looked very little like this - in that plan at this age I'd be a mother to four, the eldest of whom would be 8 or 9. I've often wondered why we're encouraged to imagine what we want to be when we grow up when, ultimately, we don't necessarily have any control over the outcome.

Irritation aside, I'm trying to remember that God's plans for me include a hope and a future - even if the actual details behind said plans are hidden. And now, I'm going to attempt to seize the day and get some homework done so that I don't end up falling behind. Cause right now one thing I do have lots of is time.

6 comments:

  1. Don't feel the need to explain. Really, it's no one's business but yours and Tim's. And I suspect the two of you are quite capable of manging your own business.

    Good luck in your transition. I hope it's pretty painless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy whatever time off you have. And if you want to get out and play, email me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:06 PM

    Too funny about HR trying to brainwash you at the end. :) Hopefully good things will be in store for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Jen said, do try and enjoy what time off you are fortunate enough to have, and I will pray for a clear answer to the question of if and when it's time to return to work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will be praying for you too Beth! Have a nice sleep in for me (I don't seem to be having one in the forseeable future!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. CTG - I think the hardest part, and why I feel I should be able to explain, is because their suggestion comes out of concern because of how miserable and stressed I was at this last job. So it's not as if they're meddling, they just care, as families do. :)

    Jen - I may do that! Need to see how long my vacation is going to be, etc. but getting out to play would be fun.

    Thanks Michelle. And yeah, the HR person...mostly I just rolled my eyes.

    Thanks, Gwynne. :)

    Rach, the sleeping in has been lovely (though I'm up a little earlier than I'd've liked this morning - sometimes when you wake up, you just wake up.) :)

    ReplyDelete