9/13/2007

Book Quandries

I finished up Hearing From God last night. I recommend it highly and really don't feel that I could do it justice in a review - I'll leave it at a recommendation.

However, we now reach a quandry. I started (and am on page 115 or thereabouts) Russka - Rutherford's (of Princes of Ireland/Rebels of Ireland fame) tale of the history of Russia (and it actually appears to encompass, at least at this point in the book, the majority of Eastern Europe. I think I'm in about 1111 AD right now.) It's interesting but...well, I think I may be a little burnt out on the sweeping and epic tales of the historical development of a people group (or, in this case, many people groups).

So, also sitting on my nightstand are the following:
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (Lauren Willig) -- this purports to be "historical chick lit" about (shockingly) the Pink Carnation -- from 1890s Paris.

Isolde: Queen of the Western Isle (Rosalind Miles) -- Book one of the Tristan and Isolde novels. This is a story that has always kind of interested me, though I know little about it.

Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country (Rosalind Miles) -- I imagine you can guess what that's about.

All three are marginally "historical fiction", and I find my nose wrinkling ever so slightly at the thought of picking them up just now. So the question becomes, should I solider on and just finish what I've started or go off in another direction and find some fluff? I know I'll enjoy all four of the above, they really do all look interesting. But at the same time - I think I may have bogged down my brain with too much history of late.

Ah. So many books, so little time.

1 comment:

  1. Ah. So many books, so little time.
    Ah. So true, so true...

    ReplyDelete