9/10/2007

I Have No Catchy Title

In fact, one could successfully posit that I really don't have much to say. I do have a few other random tidbits from this weekend though.

First, on my flight down we were informed (over the PA thingy in the airplane) that there was someone with severe peanut allergies on the plane and thus we were all to refrain from eating anything that had peanuts or peanut oil in them and that the snack list (usually rather impressive at Jet Blue) had been limited to 2 items.

How does this person live? Seriously, they can't be in the area of someone else eating peanuts or peanut oil? That seems...extreme. How did they walk through the airport (right past the boardwalk style fry place - you know, the peanut oil fries - near our gate)? How do they walk through parks where it's got to be right next to inevitable that a little kid either is eating or has recently consumed a PB&J? How do you go to the grocery store and walk down the aisles containing all the neatly packaged peanuty poison? I felt like mentioning that I'm severely allergic to bee stings, so really, if everyone could forbear from releasing any bees that they might be transporting, I'd greatly appreciate it. But I thought that might be seen as snarky, and I'm pretty sure that being snarky on a plane is a federal offense.

Speaking of federal offenses, on my way back from Florida while waiting for my plane to start boarding I got to see a random passenger mouthing off to a flight attendant. This was then escalated to yelling and wild gesticulating and calling of managers and security personnel. No one got arrested (I'm still not sure if I'm upset about that - I mean, I guess I'm glad that the guy didn't get arrested simply for being cranky, but on the other hand, how cool would it be to watch?) Not entirely sure who started it, but it just made me shake my head because in some ways you can see the flight attendants (and all random TSA personnel) just absolutely thrilled with the power they now wield over us, the would-be traveller. How soon until the airports become the 21st century version of Animal Farm?

Both of my flights made a big deal about how they were "trying to leave early". Is this a new thing? Are airlines getting bonuses for getting out of the gate sooner than scheduled? Cause if you're running late and your plane leaves early, how much does it stink to be you? We arrived in Florida about 30 minutes early and were back at Dulles about 20 minutes ahead of schedule. Since I was on the plane both times, I really didn't mind, but I just wonder if they do anything to make sure that all the people who purchased tickets are actually on the plane before zipping off ahead of schedule.

Also: if you're travelling with what you think is a really cute (and what other people would term "rambunctious") toddler...please, don't let them stand on the seat and jump up and down and throw things at the people in the row behind you. I guarantee you that we don't find it charming. Especially not after getting beaned in the eye with an animal cracker.

Oh...and if you're travelling with a small child (different one) that is wearing what looks like a red skirt and has hair pulled up in a big 6 inch ponytail on top of their head ala Pebbles...don't get offended when the flight attendant asks what her name is, even if his name is Malachi.

When we landed, early, I was pleased to see we were in the B terminal. This means that you can walk back to the main terminal rather than having to take one of the forsaken shuttles. So I trucked down to the escalators that take you down to the tunnel...only to find the big security doors closed (blocking off the tunnel) and a growing throng of people milling around wondering what was going on. Eventually it bubbled back that the main terminal was "locked down" due to some kind of "security issue". Anyone know anything about what happened at Dulles yesterday? I'm clueless, but incredibly curious (and have been unable to find anything online). Also, I feel bad for the people who were locked in the big tunnel unable to get into the terminal while flights continued to depart. I imagine there were some very, very unhappy folk.

3 comments:

  1. Snarks on a Plane might have been a nice catchy title. ;-)

    Sounds like you went on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride this weekend. I have nothing to report on the security issue. Frustrating when things like that happen and you have no idea why. Glad you made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snarks on a Plane is a good idea...aren't you clever. :)

    I love Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...that's at Knox Berry Farm, right? (I loved that place when I was a kid.)

    I heard that it might have been a diplomat flying home (Jordan maybe? Not sure.) So...I think that's possible. Still security, but not in the bad sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of snakes on a plane...we watched that comedy last night. Wow, cant believe its become a cult classic film, unless they just like the part where the big-boob-ed girl gets bit on the na-ked nip-ple.

    ReplyDelete