1/14/2008

Hey Mom, I Wanna Go, Please Mom, I Wanna Go...

I was really hoping the phone would ring today. It did not. Which means that, more than likely, the Incredibly Delightful Intelligent Otherworldly Tastefully Simple (I.D.I.O.T.S. for short) people in Richmond are still futzing around with our paperwork. Or, you know, they lost it. Not that that ever happens, mind you. At this point I'm wondering if we just need to look into relocating to Florida, since apparently we're never actually going to get to leave. (I though the Eagles song was about California!)

In the mean time, the baby continues to grow and be delightful. He is currently cuddled on his daddy's shoulder snoozing. And Tim has succumbed to the siren song of sweet baby snores and baby smells and is dozing right along with him. It's an adorable picture and I would snap it with the camera if I had any idea where it was. As it is, I will simply memorize the moment and stash it away in my memory banks.

Milestone-wise, his little umbilical stump has departed, which is delightful. For about 30 seconds I debated with myself about whether or not I should keep it and put it in his baby book - cause on the one hand, it's a definite remnant of a physical connection with his birth mom and I wonder if he would want it at some point later in life. On the other hand, ewww. Ewww eventually won out and it has been disposed of. I have no problem keeping teeth, hair, and so forth. But the umbilical stump just seemed a little too much like keeping a scab.

When we packed to come down here, I threw in an extra package of baby wipes, fully knowing that we'd just be toting them down and then right back home. We're nearly out and will have to replenish our supply - probably this evening, definitely tomorrow. I also brought down the size one diapers that I had bought ahead of time, relying on the intel of others that we would only ever need one package of newborn size. Newborns still fit him really well though, so we'll probably have to get another package of those and just leave the ones in the car for later on.

Today I scheduled the baby's 2 week check up for when we're back home. He'll be one day shy of three weeks old when they could get us in. I'm not sure whether or not they'll still call it a two week check up at that point, but since they know his birthday and did the math, hopefully it's all good. He's a healthy little boy, so I'm really not worried. Although this is one of the few things that I don't worry about off and on throughout the day. Yes, apparently I'm going to be one of those moms.

Every now and then as I'm holding him it just simply hits me: we get to keep him! I'm not baby sitting and I don't have to give him back. He's mine. And that is the most beautiful and amazing feeling I have ever experienced in my lifetime.

6 comments:

  1. Good call on the umbilical stump. It's fun reading all your day to days...and I like the fact that Tim succumbed to the siren song of sweet baby snores...

    awesome. simply awesome.

    I'm SOOOOO excited for y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep checking back to see when they're gonna let you go home! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have something equally precious - this blog. He'll be able to look back and see how much his Mama wanted him. He will feel so wanted :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:54 AM

    I'm glad "eeewww" won out.

    I have been holding my breath and not commenting at all on the entire story of Joshua for fear of putting a hex on the whole business, but I can't keep quiet any longer:

    YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayYip!Yip!Yip!Yip!Yip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how being a mother makes you suddenly insane. I've just decided to throw in the hat and go with it. Hope you paperwork is done soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope all the adoption paperwork went smoothly!

    And yes, you're entitled to be neurotic about your child. It's a mom thing. :) I am guilty of phoning Dial a Nurse when my child's diaper contents were green. Heh.

    Vaseline works well on the skin peeling. I had to slather my kid with the stuff, and 2 days later, he was much better. Be prepared for infant acne to hit around 4 weeks of age.

    ReplyDelete