9/12/2008

Head, Meet Wall

I am starting to realize that this whole PhD nonsense should have been filed under "Insert Maniacal Laughter Here" and then dismissed. Unfortunately, now that I'm this far along, I'm too stubborn to quit (though honestly? This is taxing my stubbornness.)

The latest conundrum is related to the timing of the study. And it's looking like I have two options - neither of them good.

1) Change audiences. This involves finding a new audience to work with (after hassling to get into the public schools all summer. Yay. Not.) and hoping that a reasonable sample size is available in January.

2) Keep with the high school audience and start the study in September. Sigh.

I'm pretty much sure #2 is the way I really need to go...but that would put a semester (March - July) in the middle in which I would be doing nothing (Honestly, I'm going to get my proposal approved before February. I am. I must.) So I posited the question of deferring for that semester. The school says "we can't guarantee that you'll keep your committee if you do it, check with your advisor." And now we get to "Head, meet Wall." I emailed said advisor...and the silence has been deafening.

Hopefully he'll get back to me and say it's ok. If he does, then, well, it really is the best option. But if it's not ok there will be much sighing and whining from this end of blog-land.

2 comments: