9/15/2008

It's Here, It's Here!

And this is the very first post from my laptop. Yay!

Now I just have to figure out if it's really going to make me more productive because my son is a magpie. Seriously, if it glows or is shiny, he wants it.

Yeah. Laptops glow AND this one is shiny.

Configuration went something like this:

"Enter user name, ok, we'll go crazy and say Beth..no Joshua, don't touch tha- no, you can't bite the laptop. Joshua," *shuffle shuffle remove little grabby paws from laptop and check for tooth marks in its new surface type a B before grabbing another little paw and a toy* Look, see the ball? It shakes, hear it? Oooh, look, Joshua, let's put the ball in the bucket. See?" *manage to type an e before having to perform paw removal again.*

And so on, and so forth.

Now the laptop is configured and the baby is napping so I can finally use the thing. That sound you just heard? It's Tim's head exploding, because the whole purpose of the laptop was to let me work on my dissertation while playing in the living room with the baby. Maybe once the excitement of it being new wears off it'll be less fascinating.

Now, (if you're done laughing), I would simply like to ask: why on earth does Google Chrome take so long to download? Laptops being what they are, it came with IE installed. I don't like IE, and since I haven't wanted to download Chrome on my desktop lest it annoy my configuration of Firefox that I love, I figured this was the perfect opportunity. Except that I may grow old and die before it finishes downloading over the wireless connection. (Yes, I know that's the problem but it's a laptop - it's meant to be used wirelessly. On my lap.)

Beyond that, the one downside of not having gotten a Dell (sorry, Dell, but we got a better machine for less from HP) is that I have no pencil point mouse. I am stuck with the wretched touchpad. I dislike touchpads. (Though this does have the scrolly bit on the side, which is a nice new addition.) The main reason I dislike touchpads is that I apparently type funny. Meaning that my thumb consistently brushes against the touchpad when I type, causing the mouse to wiggle here, there, and everywhere. Annoying but not horrible. It's only when I really get going that the problems occur because the thumb-touchpad action is forceful enough that the mouse *clicks* here there and everywhere. Rearranging my cursor and making for some very fascinating sentences when working in Word. (Hasn't seemed to matter to Blogger yet, so, hey, score one for Blogger.) I suspect I'll adapt. Either that or I'll invest in a wireless mouse and just turn the thing off.

Now if I just get The Wells Fargo Wagon song out of my head.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:23 PM

    Slow downloads--that's just the wireless. But wait 'till Vista has its revenge.... Fiendishly: Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete