12/09/2009

Because Nothing Is Ever Easy

Ever have those moments (ok, let's be serious, months and months on end) where it seems that nothing is going to go your way? That would be the kind of moment in which I'm currently stuck.

First up: 2 year molars. Good. Gosh. Who decided that this was the best way to have people get teeth? Cause I'm really questioning the intelligence of the whole process...why not just have them be there like the rest of the bones at birth? (Says the woman who never nursed, I know, I know.) Still, this poor kid is suffering mightily with these teeth and that is rolling downhill to mama and daddy also suffering mightily and nothing seems to make it better for anyone. We've tried Tylenol and Motrin and Ice and Ambesol Jr. (which I know you're not actually supposed to use according to the latest childhood experts, but desperate times...) and nothing seems to soothe. I would seriously love to figure out how to just reach in and pop them up and be done. Please tell me that any future teeth (cause there is at least one more set of molars, isn't there?) are not so terrible.

Next in line: the PhD. While I'm on the subject of questioning brilliant ideas...what on earth was I thinking? (Well, I know what I was thinking, but I would like to build a time machine and go back and shake some sense into myself.) I think that I may be able to start data collection in January. I do finally at least have all the official approvals I need...but in the time it took to get that sorted, the school where I teach (where I would also like to collect data) reorganized the departments so that the department chair I had on board to work with is no longer in charge of the classes I need to use. SO....I emailed the new department chairs (yes, chairs, plural, because there are three of them now) two days ago and have yet to hear anything. I would like to be able to say that I'm hopeful that things will work out, but that would be a complete lie.

Finally we have the whole hardly-eat-anything-exercise-like-there's-no-freaking-tomorrow-and-watch-the-scale-mock-you debacle. And really, there's not a whole lot more to add to that. Tim is trying to be supportive (and honestly, doing quite well) but it hard to get even something a benign as sympathy from a man who has gained 10 whole pounds since high school. (And those 10 pounds? Desperately needed.)

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment