4/20/2010

A Note To the Bunnies In My Yard

Dear Teeny Grey Bunny,

I suspect that you have moved into my fenced back yard under the mistaken idea that it would provide you some level of protection from the various predators that would otherwise plague your existence. I suppose that this is true to some degree - I haven't seen the fox couple that is prone to wandering the neighborhood at dusk inside the fence, and perhaps the hawks and owls will be less likely to land inside a fenced area (though I actually doubt very much they care).

On the other hand, there are two reasons our yard is fenced. One is a cranky, aging dog. Now, she is not a spry as she used to be, but don't let that fool you - she will still derive great pleasure from chasing you hither, thither, and yon until your little bunny heart can no longer keep up.

The second reason is a very curious, very active two-year-old. He also would derive great pleasure from chasing you about and trying to pet you. (In fact, he still goes over to the corner where you hid on Saturday to see if you're back there "sleeping".)

That said, I think you might be better off taking your chances in the world beyond the confines of our fence. If nothing else, I'd prefer to spare myself and the kiddo the trauma of disposing of your little terrified corpse after the dog or he is a bit too enthusiastic in a game of chase with you.

You can call me Mrs. MacGregor if you need, but consider this your "No Bunnies" sign.

Sincerely,
One who had to deal with the terrified corpse of her pet bunny as a child and has never really gotten over it.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need a BGF ("Bunny Gate Fabricator"). I happen to know one. He's not very skilled, or fast, or inexpensive, but he gets the job done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the bunny just needs some peas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric, I thought of your gate - but see, they've tunneled under our fence in a number of places, so I'm guessing the gate would be less than effective. :)

    Lynellen, heh - possible.

    ReplyDelete