8/07/2018

Sometimes You Eat the Muffin

Since January (ish), I've been making a concerted effort to eliminate carbs from my life. I started out pretty strict keto but have gradually adjusted to what works for me and still seems to have the desired effects.

I'm not shedding pounds like they're melting away. I know keto, followed perfectly, can do this (and did pretty quickly when I started), but I'm also finding being too strict has impacts that reach beyond my health goals.

VBS a week ago was rough. Littlest and I tried it the first day. It was a major no-go. So, rather than irritate and annoy us both trying to make it work, he and I had a week of morning quality time with no big brother. It was fun, and I think he enjoyed the fact that he had me all to himself.

One morning, after we finished a quick stop at Target, we had about thirty minutes left to kill. Little one mentions he's hungry and hey, there's a Panera across the parking lot so why not.

I had no intention of eating anything. Panera isn't exactly a low-carb Mecca.

I got the kiddo his muffin and a drink for each of us and we settled at a booth. He eats for a minute, then looks up at me and frowns. Then he carefully pulls his muffin into two pieces and pushes one across the table to me. "Here mama, you need to have some too. It's yummy."

Now, I could have explained about how that's not what I can eat and how I appreciate the idea but you go ahead. I could have. And he would have gotten it. But I looked in his face and I saw there my sweet little boy who just wanted to share his muffin with his mom.

And so I ate the muffin.

Did it set my weight loss goals back a smidge? Yeah. But you know what? The grin he gave when I took that first bite? That was worth more than the next size down pants could ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment