11/21/2018

Happy Thanksgiving

Wishing everyone a very happy Thanksgiving.

Here at Sleepy Central, we'll be hosting both sides of the family (as usual - though in recent years, we'd moved the actual meal to Mom's as she wasn't able to leave the house. She could generally make it either to the dining room or the living room to be with everyone, but that was about it. I think, given that, the change of venue is a positive thing and will help soften the grief of the first holiday without Mom. At least a little. Or so I delude myself.)

It will be fascinating to see how the drama unfolds, as hubby's unmarried sister is expecting and was trying to keep it a secret, but the beans have been spilled and...yeah, nothing quite says Happy Thanksgiving like that sort of elephant in the room.

I plan to ignore it, mostly, unless she says something requiring a response. I'm happy to support whatever decision she makes (parent (married or single) or place) but I'm also not going to be the one to start that conversation. Things are generally awkward at best with her, so I'm going to do my best to simply not make it worse.

My boys I can't vouch for. Neither one has a particularly well developed filter.

Should be good times.

Or something.

That said, we aren't doing a turkey this year as I loathe it and I just couldn't bring myself to sit through another meal of gross. So, instead, we are having porchetta. The bonus is that this particular recipe sits the pork shoulder atop a mess of veggies and so I firmly consider the side dishes also done. Toss a few rolls in the oven, some pie for dessert, and done.

I guess we'll see how it goes over with everyone else, but if they don't like it, well, they're always welcome to volunteer to host.

2 comments:

  1. I hope everything worked out! (And yes, in that first year after losing Mom, holidays seem to especially tear whatever emotional scab has formed.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things went quite well, actually -- and I have to say, it was no harder than an average day without mom. I'm not sure if that's because almost everything is still hard or if I'm slowly finding a new normal. Likely a bit of both.

      Delete