1/31/2019

Step Away From the Stupid

So first I'll state for the record how unequivocally I am heartbroken by the recent abortion legislation in NY and stunned that VA tried something similar (but yet worse). I'm grateful that, at least, got tabled (needs to be killed but I'll take a baby step.)

So with the understanding that the laws are heinous (and honestly should be no matter how you feel about abortion) - I am appalled at the suggestion of some connections on the Faceplant who are suggesting that Trump ought to be able to veto said laws.

Um no.

Just no.

The Federal Government should not have the ability veto State laws. That's kind of the whole point of having separate state and federal government.

When I tried to point this out, I was told that since Trump is pro-life he should get an exception. I'll set aside the idea that he's pro-life. Maybe yes, maybe no. But exceptions set precedents. And then those precedents can be used against you down the road by someone who gets the office who does not represent your particular values.

Checks and balances matter. All across the board. And states have already ceded too much power to the Federal government. Can you imagine the chaos if they could wade in willy nilly and veto laws??

I stopped after one response because it was clear that her fervor yo protect babies was greater than her common sense. And that made me sad, because it's that sort of thing that costs the battle long-term.

Be zealous. But be smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment