8/22/2021

Back to Skewl

Our back to school is, shockingly, aligning with the public schools this year, and we'll kick things off tomorrow. 


The boys are already moping around.

I try to remind them that they are spending 2ish hours compared to the 8 of their peers, but they still feel that's too much. 

Ah well, it's a rite of passage to hate school I guess? (I don't know, I loved school Not the school part - I hated being the picked on nerdy fat kid with no friends. But I loved learning. And, to be fair, the boys do somewhat enjoy learning -- just not in a structured way. And as much as I'd love to unschool or Montessori them, I still have to show evidence of progress in things the state demands and, much to my chagrin, my kids are never willingly going to choose math or reading.)

So anyway.

I'm excited about some of the new things we're trying this year. I got them an online math curriculum thinking maybe videos and not-mom would help them embrace the awesome of math. Or at least save me from hearing them whine quite so much?

I have a more literature based (vs. sentence diagramming based) English curriculum. They've got grammar pretty well sorted - both of them - and while they might not be able to correctly diagram complex sentences, neither can I and it's yet to impact my life in a negative way. But exploring the fun lit that's out there? Yes, we need more of that.

Except of course they hate to read but whatever. One battle at a time.

So even if they're not excited about back to school, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment