12/29/2021

But You Can Never Leave

Sister's flight home was set for 8:30 on Sunday morning. I was all set to collect her at Dad's around 3:30 a.m. to get her to the airport in time for security and checking a bag and all the various sundries that make getting there early a good idea.

But, she'd scheduled a second test, just to be sure, on Saturday afternoon. When she showed up to get said test (that she had reserved and PAID FOR in advance), they were out. I'm not clear, nor was she, on how they justified not holding pre-paid tests in reserve, but whatever.

She felt just off enough that she went ahead and changed her flight. 

Which ended up being a good thing, as they cancelled her Sunday flight.

And then today, they let her know that her flight for tomorrow was also cancelled.

She's now rebooked for Saturday morning (yay, another 3 a.m. pickup! Can't wait! /s). I guess we'll see if the friendly skies are actually going to be able to staff an airplane or if they're just hanging it all up and calling it a day.

At this point, she'd just really like to go back home. I don't really blame her. In the overall scheme of things, this trip has been a colossal bust. She saw two friends. She did manage Christmas Eve with us (did I mention she waived off Christmas day because she was a little fevered? If not, she did.) But really. We could have done Zoom or something and probably had just as pleasant an experience. 

Amusingly enough, she'd like to leave this DC version of the Hotel California to go back to actual California.

I suggested if they kill off this flight she should look into the train. I'd consider driving back out with her, except it seems unlikely that I'd be able to fly home myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment