4/16/2022

Celebrating Easter

As the years have gone by, and the boys have developed their own personal sense of style -- coupled with the seeming great need to fight me on just about anything, Easter has taken a bit of a turn.


I used to go all out looking for cute, dressy outfits for them to wear. They'd coordinate (rarely truly match) and hubby and I would dress up and we'd get a snazzy family photo.

And then the whining started about itchy collars and uncomfortable pants and so on and so forth and... I gave up.

I think we hit our all time low in 2020, when Easter happened in the middle of the original "two weeks to flatten the curve" madness and everyone was only doing church online less Der Kommisar come after you. That year, we watched Easter on the couch in jammies. 

But Easter at our church has always been a bit of a grumble for me, anyway, because they try to make it one big happy service instead of our usual 4 (one Saturday, 3 on Sunday). From the standpoint of the pastor wanting it to be a little easier, I get it. On the flip side, moving Easter service to the auditorium or gym of the nearby high school makes it entirely meh.

And then, even worse, last year and now this, we haven't even bothered with the high school. It's outside on the lawn in front of the building.

Bring Your Own Camping Chair. 

I'm not going to try to look fancy when I have to sit on a sloping hill (leaning backwards, of course) in a camping chair. Just no.

Also, as much as they think they've figured out making the audio system work so everyone can hear, they have not.

It's all just awful. And I hate it. And I hate that I hate it. 

But I also don't want to go visit another church just for Easter. 

So mostly I'm grumpy and out of sorts and have reached new lows of not caring in the slightest about any of this. To the point that I ordered our Easter dinner from Cracker Barrel and will go pick it up this afternoon so I can toss it in the oven tomorrow and just be done.

Because everyone's going to complain about it anyway, so why bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment