2/17/2006

Magnetic Poetry Mania

This weekend's poetry contest revolves around words which I will draw at random from my bowl of Magnetic Poetry words. You can put them into any form you like, though I suspect most, if not all, will end up being free verse.

Rules are as follows:
1. You do not have to use every word supplied, but you score higher if you do
2. You may add additional words if needed, but try to avoid it
3. You may modify words as needed by changing verb tense, adding 'ed', 'ing' etc., or pluralizing (for example, if I give you the word "finger" and you could use "fingers" go ahead and add the s, no penalty)
4. You can use words multiple times (but try to avoid it)
5. A, an, the (and words of that ilk) are free - use as many of those as you need
6. Punctuation is optional and free
Hint: I find it helps me to actually move the words around, so you might write them down and cut them out and rearrange them to get your poem.

Example (not using the words for this weekend, but actually taken off my frig):
Frantic wind
beneath spring gardens
I stare through sleep
manipulated by a thousand purple lights

Leave your poems in the comments - and have fun!!

This weekend's words:
drive
sweat
smooth
enormous
top
puppy
sky
rock
eternity
road
these
summer
you
it
shine
soar
recall
storm
easy
chant

2 comments:

  1. My first offering is a Haiku called "Pet Grooming to Pay for School"

    An easy smooth sweat
    Recalling these puppy drives.
    Summer eternities


    My second Haiku is simply "Et Alia"

    Shine enormous sky
    it soars
    ephemerally
    You chant rock top road

    ReplyDelete
  2. Free verse, I guess. :)

    Title: The Dog Star Sings

    Puppy Sirius shines for eternity
    And soars easy in the sky above the sweat of a summer storm.
    The Milky Way is an enormous rock road you drive on top of
    When it recalls these smooth chants.

    ReplyDelete