5/08/2006

Movies So Cheesy, Only a 'B' Will Do

Tim is in love with B movies. He is a veritable connoisseur of the B movie. Thus, since we've been married (and really even before that to some degree, though in college he had friends who were even more into the B movie, so sometimes I was not needed) I have seen more B films than I probably would seek out on my own. Happily, I find that most of the time, I really enjoy them for their cheesiness - provided that I know ahead of time that's what's coming.

So last night, our entertainment was a film that takes the top spot of "Enjoyable Cheesy Movies" - Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Wow. B movie all the way. But it also seemed like they weren't taking themselves too seriously either, which made it more fun (especially given Gwynneth Paltrow's usual "I'm too serious for this role" mannerisms. With the notable exception of Sliding Doors, I haven't enjoyed anything she's been in. In this movie, they really worked for her to make her character just that much more of a caricature of the story-hungry journalist who'll stop at nothing.

Highlights of the movie included hearing: "Look into my eyes, I never cheated on you." coming out of Jude Law's mouth, with a tremendously believable expression of earnesty. Polly must not've had a nanny. And the last line of the movie was just classic - and hillarious. (I won't spoil it on the off chance you like B movies and haven't seen this one yet.) I even enjoyed the pseudo-black-and-white feel of it, definitely added to the overall feel of the movie.

Anyway, if you're into this kind of thing definitely see it. I give Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow 4 Kraft Singles out of 5.

11 comments:

  1. I liked SCATWOT (Oh there's a scary acronym) but thought it fell short as an homage to the old serial. Paltrow was too 21st century especially the eco-loonish behavior at the end. But definite cheesey fare all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a scary acronym. Was it meant to be a serial homage? (And is that pronounced O-majje, like a pretentious French-person?)

    She was a bit of an eco-loon, but I thought that added to her hillariousness. Still, all in all definitely good for some high-cheeze enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well every review I've ever read had the word HOMAGE in it. (pronounced O Mah jee like Bugs Bunny had said it :-) ) I will give props to the cast, it couldn't have been easy acting to green screen the whole time. (everything but the actors was CGI) So it was a cinematic experiment as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah - that struck me as well. For a totally green screen thing, it was very well done. And I dont' think I'd've guessed it if I hadn't known already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched it too and quite liked it but it wasn't at all what I expected!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I didn't leave you thinking I didn't enjoy it. I did! It just had a high cheese factor. That's not a bad thing - see the 4 slices out of 5? :) (Very little gets all 5 of whatever I happen to be rating. I'm hard to please. I have this on good authority.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm curious also. And for Eric, to which would you award 5 Fire Ants (because I don't believe I've ever seen that either)?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, Joe v. the Volcano probably would get all 5 singles. As would The Mummy (come on, it's cheesy, but good!) and The Scorpion King. And LA Story.

    But those are just cheesy - not necessarily B movies. There's a marginal, yet critical, difference.

    Hmmm...a 5 single cheesy B movie is tougher. I'll have to go with Bubba Hotep for a start. If I can come up with others, I'll let you know. (Haven't seen Doom yet, but I'm guessing it's contender.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would make a good meme. You're absolutely right about a distinction between "just" cheesy and "B." I loved LA Story...esp the line about the haf-caf-decaf (etc.) cappucino, with a twist of lemon (or something like that); Starbucks orders nowadays put Steve Martin to shame. ;-) I think I'll post some of my favorite "B" movies later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eric, maybe you're a long lost cousin or something. Cause WOW you have good taste in movies! :)

    Well, other than O Brother Where Art Thou (though I did really like the singing - it, much like the epic it's based on - just lost me, I'm afraid.) But everyone's allowed at least one bad pick.

    If we're just going with 5 Star/Kraft Single/What have you movies, I would also add:
    -Young Sherlock Holmes
    -The Count of Monte Christo (the new one)
    -Aliens (the 2nd one - just as good as the first, IMO.)
    -Star Trek 2 (The Wrath of Khan)
    -Star Trek 6 (The Undiscovered Country)
    -10 Things I Hate About You
    -Center Stage (veering back into cheesy land with that one and the one above, but I love them both)
    -Sabrina (the Harrison Ford remake)

    Probably there are others that I'm missing, but that'll do for now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must also add Demolition Man and the first X-Men movie to the list.

    ReplyDelete