6/15/2006

My dissertation topic

I think last night I finally zeroed in on the perfect dissertation topic. I know that it's interesting to me, it's something I can actually use in real life (strange but true - fancy that, having a PhD that's useful for more than being able to correct people by saying, "No, no, that's Mr & Dr Sleepy."*), and it's something that, not only do I enjoy doing, but I excel at it. Perfect, no?

The only problem is, I'm not positive that it will actually fit within the confines of my current program of studies. Technically I think it is something that's more "General Studies" or "Interdisciplinary" than a true CS related degree. Maybe I can get special dispensation, however, because I'm really very talented and knowledgeable in this area and it just would be a shame to let all that wisdom go to waste.

My topic? Procrastination.

Before you write me off, stop to consider for a moment my excellent qualifications as evidenced by my behavior last night (in just one night, mind you, I have shown incredible leaps of understanding on this topic. Think of the insight I could add to the field!) It goes something like this:

4:30 pm - Arrive home from work, mention to anyone who will listen that I have eight research papers I need to read in order to be prepared to start my final paper and that it's going to get done tonight.

4:35 pm - Go upstairs to change out of work clothes, stop along the way to scritch doggie heads and reshelve a few books that are laying on my dresser waiting to go back into the library.

4:45 pm - Wander back downstairs, notice that said doggies are in need of more scritiching and that they look hungry. Feed dogs.

4:52 pm - Open fridge and stare at contents looking for dinner inspiration.

5:05 pm - Decide on pork chops and salad. Wander around the kitchen contemplating what time to put pork chops in the oven if I want to serve dinner at 6. Decide on 5:45. Glance at clock, decide that's time to check my email and blogroll but probably not enough time to start reading.

5:06 pm - Head downstairs to the office to check email and blogroll. Go ahead and check school email and classrooms so I can convince myself that I'm actually working on school stuff.

5:50 pm - Realize what time it is and run upstairs to put pork chops in the oven and fix a salad.

5:55 pm - Decide that, since the chops will be done in 10 minutes, that's not really time to start reading, go back downstairs, stopping to scritch doggie heads in the process.

6:05 pm - Hear oven timer beeping and go put dinner on the table. Dither about a little wondering where everyone is, decide Tim and I will just eat and they can fix their own plates when they get back from wherever.

6:20 pm - Clear table, put dishes away, help in-laws get situated with dinner plates. Go looking for research papers and a highlighter. Start reading.

6:35 pm - Clear in-law dishes and decide that the kitchen needs tidying up.

6:50 pm - Return to reading.

7:05 pm - Finish first paper. Feel a little munchie, in the mood for something sweet, think apple crisp would be just the ticket. Look around, no apples left. Darn.

7:10 pm - Return to reading.

7:30 pm - Decide oatmeal cookies would be really tasty, get up to see if we have all the ingredients we'd need. We do - score! Begin making cookies.

7:50 pm - Put first batch of cookies in the oven and answer the phone. Talk to sister.

7:55 pm - Return to reading.

8:00 pm - Get first batch of cookies out of oven and onto cooling racks, put second batch into oven.

8:03 pm - Return to reading, finish second paper.

8:15 pm - Get second batch of cookies out of oven and onto cooling racks, put third batch into oven.

8:20 pm - Return to reading.

8:30 pm - Get third batch of cookies out of oven and onto cooling racks, clean up cookie making mess, let sister in, get what she needs, listen to instructions, share warm cookies, wave bye and send puppies out to pee.

8:50 pm - Return to reading.

9:10 pm - Finish third paper with very little recollection of even the topic of said paper because I was skimming and trying to decide if I should have one more cookie or not, decide it's time to start getting ready for bed because I can't focus on reading anymore.

Any suggestions on what department would sponsor a PhD in Procrastination? Cause I really think I need to change my major!

*Not that I would ever actually correct someone into saying this, but it makes Tim roll his eyes and say "Yeah, yeah." So I figured it needed to be on my blog somewhere.

5 comments:

  1. You baked oatmeal cookies and you didn't call me?! I am crushed! But as for procrastination, I might have you beat. I would have cleaned out the silverware drawer also. And maybe relined the cabinet shelving. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:18 PM

    You sound like me!

    Oatmeal cookies sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure i do!
    Sounds like politics to me!
    So Poli-Sci it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was procrastinating too last night. I was supposed to be studying for my scripture exam on Saturday. At least I learnt all my memory verses I suppose. I'll have to stop procrasinating tonight hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gwynne, I tried to call you, you just didn't hear me! :) Hmm...I see I have much to learn in the ways of procrastination.

    Dawn, they were yummy. :)

    RM - PoliSci. Ugh. No...guess it's back to the grindstone!

    Rach - Good for you for getting the verses done - now get back to work! :)

    ReplyDelete