7/12/2006

Regular or Extra Creepy?

One constant struggle Tim and I have had throughout our marriage was in choosing which service to attend at any given church we've belonged to. Inevitably the church offers a "traditional" service and a "contemporary" one. Just as inevitably, my preference lies with the traditional and Tim's with contemporary. I imagine part of it is how we were raised (as in the type of church we attended while growing up) and part of it is the depth of musical background (I took years and years of various music lessons, Tim took 1 year of piano) and part of it is simply a perception of what is worshipful music and what is the Christian equivalent of Britney Spears (fun to listen to on the radio, but do you really sing it in the service?)

Until a few weeks ago, our current church had been the blissful oasis providing relief from this struggle. Their traditional service was so dry and stale that I think even the old people were bored - it certainly seemed like the choir was about to drop dead from exhaustion and disinterest at any moment. And the contemporary service? It was wonderful - the songs were tune-ful (by and large), there were honest to goodness musicians playing it, the people in front didn't need a bucket and both hands to carry a tune. And the general atmosphere created by the musical segment of the service was worship and reflection - even when the songs were upbeat and lively, it was clear that the music was presented as a corporate offering of worship to God.

And then the choir director who had been volunteering, I think since the beginning of the church, decided to retire and we hired a new music minister for our church. It's the first time in the history of our church (which is somewhere around 30 or 40 years old, so not super old, but not brand new) that we've had an actual staff member music minister. This meant, of course, that the guy who had been volunteering and leading the contemporary worship team also had to step down to make way for, oh, let's call him Larry.

I will make all of the following statements to try to ensure that people understand that I understand that change is hard, new people in charge want to do things their way, he's still learning about the church, etc. etc. etc. Ok, Larry's got a hard row to hoe, no doubt. I sympathize with him to a point.

But since he came the struggle has reemerged in the Sleepy household. And it's reemerged with a vengence because the choice between services is now Regular or Extra Creepy.

Let's start with why I call him Larry, it's because he's like a Lounge Singer. Firstly, every song, regardless of the fact that we've sung this song in this order for the past 3 or 4 weeks (because singing different songs each week, well, what a nutty idea!), Larry feels he needs to showcase his amazing voice and talent at being able to play his keyboard and sing by singing the first verse and chorus all by himself and then inviting us to sing along. With little asides in his sing-talky voice about "This is an easy tune, you'll get it, but let me lay it out for you first." I wonder occasionally if we ought to dim the lights, replace the chairs with tables and chairs with candles in the center to get the right atmosphere. Second, we're a casual crowd, people come in shorts and t-shirts and no one bats an eye, but the shorts aren't ratty and the t-shirt isn't rumpled. Larry looks like he just crawled off the floor from under a pile of laundry that he just hasn't had time to take care of. The disheveled does not begin to describe. I've seen linen suits balled up and tied in knots then soaked and left to dry that way come out looking more put together than Larry manages on a given Sunday. And I know it's not about how you look - but really, when you're up in front of everyone you can't manage to put yourself together a little? Really? And, well, you'll have to imagine the peevish old lady voice for this one, but man Larry, get a haircut. You're at least in your mid-40s, it's time to move away from the long bowl cut that's so cute on curly haired little boys.

Ok, so pushing the visual aside which is easily remedied by just keeping my eyes shut or focused on the big screen where they display the lyrics and pretty mountain pictures, and pushing and the lounge singer aspects aside as well as a difference in styles, let's discuss the meaning of monotony. As in Mono tone. As in the song that Lary has now forced us to endure for the last 3 weeks running that consists of exactly 4 notes. But really the other 3 are asides and only done on the last syllable of one word in the chorus to make you feel like you're a gospel singer. We used to sing really complicated pieces of music like "As the deer" and so forth - I promise you, Larry, we can handle more than 1 note songs. And I won't even get into the fantastic theological depth and worshipful mindset that arises out of singing "Change me on the inside" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over on one note. What was that? You got bored, distracted, and stopped paying attention to what you were doing reading all those over and overs? I know the feeling.

And the clapping. Oh make the clapping stop! We clap during the song - ok, fine, keep the time, whatever. But isn't there something you can do to keep people from turning it into applause at the end? What are we applauding? The music? Cause it used to be about worship and there would be some "amen"s here and there sprinkled about - but there sure was never anything like Larry this past week pointing to the musician who did a little solo during the interlude and urging us to "give him a hand". This. Is. Not. A. Concert.

Or should I just start bringing my lighter for the slow songs?

12 comments:

  1. You 'n me both, Beth. The Random Wife and I really struggle with this whole "Who's worshipping whom?" issue when it comes to many contemporary services. Live from the Church of What's Happening Now: Larry and the Lovetones! Give it up for Larry! (With special guest: God)

    If it's going to be musical theatre -- and I *do* enjoy a lot of the music -- then let's do it the way Broadway does it, and stick the musicians down in the orchestra pit where they can be heard and not seen. *Then* maybe we'll remember where the focus is supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry's the reason that people like me have a hard time getting a worship leadership position in the local church.

    Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, let me defend the post-song applause, which in my church really comes off as a praise offering in response to true worship. We do that a lot and it has never felt anything other than genuine.

    If you feel like a trek on Sunday morning, come visit. ;-) We're usually at the early service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen - I've seen it work that way on occasion, so I probably shouldn't be as harsh as I am about it. I've just also seen it the way it is becoming at my church more times than I care to count - with soloist bowing, etc. That just grates. We'll have to trek up one Sunday when I'm done teaching Sunday school (woohoo! last lesson this week!).

    Bret - I kinda actually like the idea of the pit, wonder if it would work in reality. Heh - Larry and the Lovetones. You have no idea how accurate that sounds to me. :) I mentioned to Tim last week that all he needed was a powder blue tux and we'd be in business.

    Jim - Ugh. As awful as it is from a congregant, I can't imagine it if I knew it impacted my ability to serve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo - tough one, is your church cozy enough to ask the pastor what's up with Larry the LL? If that isn't possible - maybe a copy of this post sent to the pastor or possibly the board? Hang in there, maybe invite Larry to pie after church - maybe he'll turn out to be a nice guy and in knowing him, he won't be so grating!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:19 PM

    What gets me is when they add rock and roll music, like drums and so on. It's why I converted to Catholicism. Love the traditional side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There have been times when I felt moved to applaude an especially compelling performance during worship but have always stopped myself short of actually doing so because it just isn't done in our church. The thought of applauding a lounge lizard is just, well, you said it, creepy! And really, appearances do matter. There's no excuse for dressing like that. Even if he has no other clothes, he can at least iron them. Maybe you could offer to buy him the iron. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandi - You know, he's a really nice guy, I've chatted with him a few times and he's absolutely great. Maybe working pie into the mix will help some more though - pie is always good! :) I think, honestly, that probably a big mug of "suck it up" is what I need to dose myself with and be done, but we shall see.

    Michelle - That made me smile. I don't mind the drums, myself, but it did take a little while. I will say the Episcopalian church we went to for a little over a year had the most beautiful, moving, full-up liturgical service -- and kick butt drums during the singing part. It never seemed to feel mismatched. :)

    Gwynne - Hmm. Were you compelled to applaud the performance or was it an expression of worship for you (just trying to understand) - cause there've been times I've wanted to clap for the performer but have stopped because I know if it were me, I wouldn't want it since I was there to serve/worship myself and that turns the focus on me. I don't think I've ever wanted to clap from a "gosh I'm so in tune with God right now I want to clap" point - that is almost always an amen or (more likely for me) silence. But then, I'm an introvert. You know, his wife is a very put together woman, so I'm not tracking the dishevelment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know some Churches can be like that but it makes me glad for NZ where we haven't got that way (for the most part)...yet... Can you talk to someone in authority or will you think about going elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:11 PM

    Why is it you and I are always going through the same things with our churches at the same time? It's like you are completely mimicking my story right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My inclination to applaude has been when the performers "kicked butt," to use your words, not an expression of worship. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rach - I think you've found the solution then - I need to move to New Zealand! (I always said I was going to move to Australia, but that was just because of Alexander, NZ is probably better.) I don't think we'll go elsewhere, honestly, because we love everythign else about the church - I might switch to the traditional service but I need to go it a few times and see how much it's changed. If nothing else, I will try and look at it as an opportunity to grow in my patience for and acceptance of other ways of doing things, not my best talent by far.

    Q - I'm sorry you're going through this too! Unfortunately I think you and I are just 2 of zillions who struggle through this cause it seems to be a big trend in churches today.

    Gwynne - :)

    ReplyDelete