8/08/2006

Hypothetically Speaking

Allow me to present a hypothetical situation for general perusal and comment. Let's say you live in a state where, after having moved there and before two months of residency has occurred, the state requires that you register your car in said state. With the only exceptions being for active duty military. And let's say that you know someone who has recently moved into the state and has just renewed the registration for their vehicle in a different state (the implication being fairly clear that there is no intention to register said vehicle in the current state of residence.) And let's add further that the property taxes on vehicles are one of the state's primary means of funding things. And that said person who just moved here is already actively taking advantage of several social services. And then just to top it off, let's mention that this person is employed in an arm of law enforcement.

Do you:
1) Do nothing.
2) Make an anonymous phone call to the county police to inform them of the violation.
3) Confront the person (with the clear understanding that this will, in most liklihood, not go over well and will probably have repercussions on not only your already fairly strained relationship but on other people's relationships with said person.)
4) Other.

11 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'd opt for the anonymous phone call.

    Or not.

    I'm not sure.

    It's a dilemma.

    This wouldn't happen to be an in-law, would it? 8-}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:14 PM

    Tough call. If I had not voiced my opinion then I'd make a little phone call, but if said person is family, and comments have been said, could this come back to you?

    That really is a hard decision to make. Right is right and wrong is wrong, but do not get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the family part makes it tougher - I was considering the passive-agressive route of referring to him as my father-in-scofflaw, but I think that might be lost on him. Subtlety is not his strong suit.

    *sigh* Guess I need to suck it up and just hush, but it really, really REALLY galls me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, I'm confrontational and would go with #3.

    "You know you're supposed to register your car in Virginia now that you live here, right?"

    My further response would be based on his response to that simple question. It could get ugly, but only because I'm really argumentative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could you confront him without being confrontational? or will he take it the wrong way anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  7. See, that's the thing, Rach - I think he'd take it poorly. Plus, he'd be right to say it's none of my business. And my dad pointed out that more than likely there are people on his block who don't appreciate scofflaws who might take care of it - and then it'd be a non-issue for me (as in, I wouldn't have to do/say anything.)

    Jen, when they first moved here I gave them the printout from the DMV website and explained the whole 60 day thing. So...while I can be as argumentative as the next gal, I really try hard not to be with him cause I want to have a good relationship with them and so far have not even managed to have any kind of relationship, let alone a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The thing about this area, though, is that there are so many people who have residency in other states that his neighbors might not say anything. They will assume that he's not a true Virginia resident and therefore doesn't need to register the car here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got it then. Just print up some flyers and mail them out to all of his neighbors. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen, too true. Hrm. Maybe I'll see if Tim wants to bring it up. :) Otherwise Gywnne's flyers are sounding like a good plan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. for the flyers, drive to richmond and mail them from there so they look official

    ReplyDelete