8/31/2006

Thursday Theological Thinking

I generally avoid trying to discuss the Problem of Evil. I just don't know that a productive conversation can come out of it, because I honestly believe that it's one of the things we will never understand this side of heaven. We live in a fallen world, and while yes, the eternal consequences of sin have been taken care of for those who accept Christ, we still must deal with the earthly consequences of sin - and this means that rain will continue to fall on the just and the unjust; the innocent will suffer and the good will die. And many will use this to justify to themselves their choice to deny the existence of God - or at least to deny His nature as a loving God. The Problem of Evil is one of those things where Faith must move up from the backseat. Not to ride shotgun, but to take the wheel. Without Faith, the Problem of Evil is an unsolveable conundrum filled with questions and doubt.

Last week, one of the comments struck me as...well, honestly, wrong. And I started to write a little response in the comment section but quickly discarded it as I realized how many thoughts I had on the subject, so I decided to address it here - even though it, in some ways, opens up the whole Problem of Evil can of worms. Someone said, "I do not believe that God would give you adopted children if you were not to have them, however. He'll allow us to screw up our own lives, but I don't think he'd allow us to screw up others' in that large a way."

I disagree with this. Part of giving us free will means that we can do as we choose, and bear the consequences thereof, even if those consequences have far reaching effect. Without much effort, I can think of several people who I know personally who would stand as examples of this very thing. But I think the first, and perhaps best, example can be found in Genesis. In Genesis 15, God promises Abram (Abraham) that his descendents will be like the stars in the sky, and Abram believes this and his faith is credited as righteousness. In chapter 16, however, Sarai (Sarah) decides that, since she is barren, that God's promise needs a little push, and sends Hagar in to Abram who, also seeming to doubt God's promise but still trusting that God would keep His word - even if it was through actions of their own - conceives a child with her. In doing so, the lives of Hagar and Ishmael are "screwed up" considerably in addition to the lives of Abram and Sarai. Hagar's pregnancy was not God's will for Abram and Sarai to have children, but they acted in the manner they saw best to bring about God's plan.

Because of our free will we must deal with the problem of evil - because we are not given a clear roadmap for every decision that we have to make during the course of a day, week, month, year or lifetime. We must step out in faith and take actions - and while we should certainly be in a constant state of listening and willing to change our plans and steps at God's directions, sometimes we are going to go our own way and do something that was not what God had for us and we are potentially going to cause damage to the lives of many when we do so. Because our free will has consequences and sometimes those consequences spill over and cause the innocent to suffer. In the midst of this though we have a promise that God will use things to His glory, though it may not ever be evident to us. We have to have faith. Faith that God is loving and that He keeps His promises.

5 comments:

  1. Very well said, Beth. As usual. :-) I can't speak for the commenter, but I can say that I understood her to mean that if you continue down the path of adoption with good intentions and an ear to God, and if that is not God's will, then obstacles will be placed in your way and you will at least have more clarity (we would hope) as to what is God's will. No doubt, our choices can and do inflict harm on others and that is one of the worst consequences that individuals with any conscience at all must face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwynne, I pretty much thought her intent was that as well (though I'll also admit to a fleeting bit of hurt as the interpretation of "therefore if you don't adopt it's because God isn't letting you screw someone's life up that badly" flickered through my mind. But I just can't see her meaning something that hurtful, so I rebuked that little thought and moved on.) That said...I needed a topic for today and it was rattling around in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:16 AM

    Our choices can and do have positive and negative consequences for others. But I try to remember that God is so much bigger than our sins that he can use our choices as part of His will as well. Someone's poor choice that caused me pain may be just the stumbling block I needed to learn a lesson to accomplish something later down the road.

    As for the adoption issue, Beth, it sure sounds to me like you are on the right track-praying and asking for God's guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, I hadn't thought about that angle but I can see how that would sting. I think one thing is very clear...your strong desire to have children is a pretty good indicator of God's will and it is the number one ingredient for being a good mother. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Beth,
    Agree with every thing you've said. Don't think I have anything to add :).

    ReplyDelete