9/27/2006

Random Tidbits

  • The Washington Post is currently running their "Our paper is such liberal crap we can't even give it away" promotion, whereby they only make you buy the Sunday paper and they'll throw in the rest for free. So if you have gerbils or birds, now's the time to stock up on free cage liners. And they have The. Most. Annoying. Radio. Commericals. Ever.
  • If you're going to start a software project that involves a database, step 1 - the very first step, before you do anything else in the development process - should be designing and setting up the database. Expecting people to "just go make the front end" when stuff is supposed to fill from a DB directly on page load without little things like table and field names, is just mean. Because then said developers end up re-writing things day after day as the DB slowly evolves and field names change.
  • Watched the series premier for Heroes last night - looks like an interesting show. But probably another one of those "don't miss an episode or you'll be helplessly lost" shows. While I enjoy continuity, I begin to think that it'd be nice to have a really good show other than a CSI that I could catch when I could and if I missed it, oh well.
  • Discovered Hershey Dark Chocolate with Almond nuggets the other day. Put a bag in the freezer for occasional after supper snacking. Mmmm. (Was looking for the truffles Eric mentioned, but couldn't find them.)
  • We upgraded our DVR last week so that it can now record two things at the same time. We now have way more recording power than is probably good for us. Homework has to get done sometime! (So far we're doing fine with watching maybe one thing a night, but it's stacking up fast.)
  • As part of the upgrade, HD has entered our life. Can I just say wow?
  • Last night I finished the first draft of my first paper topic proposal (due 10/8) so I'm feeling ok on that score - still feel like I'm chasing the wind in the other two classes though, hopefully I can get to a point where I feel like I'm on track (and less overwhelmed) this weekend.

Happy Wednesday.

5 comments:

  1. I love your suggestion on #1! ;-)

    Good luck on #7!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gwynne :) I'm hoping to get rid of this feeling of impending dooooom that has been hovering over my head ever since returning from my first class meeting. I know it'll go away with more organization (and possibly sleep) but for now, it's quite annoying. As for the WaPo, I'm told some people actually read it, but I can't fathom why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:42 PM

    I probably wouldn't take the Washington Compost if it were completely free.

    I hope you are digging out a little this week - it sounds like you've been very busy! It's Hump Day, so I hope Friday gets here quickly for you.

    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting me know about the spoilers in the last post. I was very good and avoided temptation - It's easier when its not on our screens because I don't have to see the preview for the next week and wonder what's going to happen hehe.

    Did you try Walmart for those truffles? That is where ELB got them when I was there.

    One of these days I'm going to have to get a DVD that records TV but until I get better reception for my own TV, there's no point!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cant wiat to see the new HD in action!!!!

    ReplyDelete