9/26/2006

TAR 10 - I'll show you a meltdown, bub. (Spoilers abound)

Jen has a good (spoiler-riffic) summary here. Below are my thoughts (also very spoileriffic - so look away if you don't wanna know as I have no foldy thing.)

The next trek involved a bus and then train to Mongolia. I thought it was hillarious that even though the busses were two hours apart they all ended up on the same train. I also thought it was hillarious that some were annoyed by the busses seeming to give people a leg up. Once in Mongolia, they had to catch a taxi to a temple and see a performance to get their next clue. The usual problems with navigating taxis in countries where your main language is not their main language ensued, causing several people to get behind.

From the performance it was hop in an old jeep and drive to a park for their next clue. The smart folks stopped for a map and directions, I thought it was great that the Coalminers actually got the guy to hop in the car with them and direct them! Good thinking, if perhaps a little naive (seriously, would you do this if you didn't have the semi-safety net of a cameraperson?) Team PrettyBoys got a flat tire along the way. It was surprising to me that no one was willing to let them hop in their jeep and come along - can you not do that? It seems like a nice thing to do and really how much would it "cost" you to give them a lift? Most people at least stopped, one offered their jack (father/daughter I think, can't be certain.) Alabama again showed their stripes with their catty comment of "I'm not stopping, I don't care." Yeah, sweetie, your kids are gonna be proud. That's some good stuff you're teaching.

Then it was a horse ride (with guide) out to the detour. The chick of the Odd Couple (Rob/Kimberly I believe are their names) is scared of horses and asks "Can horses smell fear?" - this is the title my DVR gave the episode, so I'm guessing it's what they picked up on. Basically Rob laughs at her and says no. What a sympathetic guy. Let alone the fact that I would say yes, absolutely they can. She gets knocked off the saddle and dragged a little and the next you see she's walking alongside, so I'm guessing she didn't get back on. One of Team BeautyQueen also got thrown (and dragged) but she does get back on - yay her!

When Team Boyfriend got on the horses all I could think of was the movie City Slickers.

The detour gave them the option of using a cart (with requisite ox-like animal) to take jugs down to a stream, fill jugs, bring back, fill larger container, repeat until no longer needed or taking down a tent-like structure and packing it such that it would fit on the camel and the camel would stand up. Tough choice, honestly, because there is the variable of the animal. Team Bionic opted at first for the packing. Sarah was talking to herself a little trying to get things straight in her head, Peter then told her to just focus on the task and not talk. Um, excuse me? She fired back a little but basically said if he needed her to hush, she could zip it. Finally, Peter decides he can't do the knots so they switch. Sarah doesn't want to quit and gets frustrated, Peter is hearing none of it. So they get this posessed ox-thing that charges off twice. Sarah is frustrated and a little teary because of said - she's also clearly struggling with the walk/running on the terrain and getting pulled a little by said posessed ox-thing. Peter then starts treating her like an infant with his "I need you to stop. Let's just stop and rest for a minute, I need you to" she cuts him off and they start walking again. Eventually they switch back to the packing after the beast proves unworkable and get the camel to stand.

Later, in the car toward the Pit Stop, Peter says "Well, that was quite the little meltdown you had." Sarah manages not to take off her metal leg and bludgeon him to death with it. I don't think I'd've had that much restraint, my guess something along the lines of, "You think that was a meltdown? I'll show you a meltdown..." would've come forth, along with bludgeoning.

Team BeautyQueen lost one of their helmets during the Detour and at first paid no attention - until they found out they had to have it to go back for the Pit Stop journey. They looked half-heartedly then flailed helplessly and let a big, strong man find it for them. Whiners. (Otherwise I like them, I was just disappointed that they didn't even really help look.)

Team Coalmine gave the Alabama Catty-girls their leftover water after their container was filled. Nice, but wasted on that particular team - the AL-Cats are never going to reciprocate. You could be bleeding out an eyeball and the AL-Cats would walk by without a second glance - and then they'd go on about how proud their kids are gonna be, cause they're winners. Whatever. I am well on my way to Loathing them.

The Pit Stop was to shoot a flaming arrow into a target. Lots of fun - I was a little annoyed that Peter didn't let Sarah give that a shot, so far he's done both the Pit Stops - and honestly when you consider it, he's the one that continuously brings up her disability. I'm thinking he's bad news and was glad she mentioned that she's taking note of the stuff he says/does that she doesn't appreciate.

The Odd Couple are on their way to a major breakup. Hopefully if they should weirdly decide to marry they'll have premarital counseling with someone who will make them watch the show so they can see what the rest of us see. Hello, train wreck?

The other teams - The WinBros, PrettyBoys, Father/Daughter, BeautyQueens, Boyfriends and Coalmine are all so far ok and fairly low on the radar.

Due to 60 minutes running long, I lost everything after team 1 and 2 coming in at the Pitt Stop, so I only know the Cheerleaders are gone from other summaries. Kinda sad to see them go but...I figure the BeautyQueens will fill in the blonde quotient nicely.

6 comments:

  1. The train catch up is what we call "bunching." There will be many instances of bunching to level out the playing field. At times it's quite annoying.

    Teams cannot share cars that are given by the producers. They can share cabs, but that's a different animal. They are responsible for their own vehicles otherwise.

    Plus, it's a RACE. No helping the others or it could cost you. And the fans will all be yelling at their TVs.

    Technically the flaming arrow task was the Roadblock - a task in which only one of the team members can participate. From there they went to the Pit Stop. It won't always be right there.

    Plan to record the next show in the line up until football is over if you want to see the end of TAR at all this season. *sigh*

    Great recap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I can see where the "bunching" could get annoying. I wondered if that was taboo somehow, thanks for the info - I suppose I should go find the website and read up on rules and terminology :)

    Gotta love football.

    Thanks for the info! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only watched TAR a few times. I thought I would love it, given my love of travel and adventure and competition, but the "bunching" made it non-adventurous and non-competitive. Plus, there's no time to enjoy the travel. It annoyed me to the point that I cannot watch it. The race would be so much better if they ran the whole thing unrestrained with clues along the way, a fixed amount of cash at the beginning, and each team accompanied by its own camera crew. That would be much more "real" and worth watching, imho. Pit Stop? Roadblock? What's the difference? Don't mind me...I'm just a reality tv curmudgeon. 8-}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gwynne, it's the competition thing that kills most of my attempts with reality TV - if TAR ends up getting super competitive, more than likely it'll fall off the list (note how I already dislike the uber competitive team.)

    I like the idea of doing it unrestrained, but I imagine making sure the clues stay put would be challenging at best. Also they'd have to incorporate more kinds of goals - maybe seeing certain sights or something rather than just going from place to place as fast as you could? Dunno - but I can see how you could get a different show with the same idea and have it be slightly more enjoyable.

    But seriously - expecting reality tv to be "real"? Silly. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do a lot more bunching to keep teams more even because of the first season. By the last leg the third place team was at least a day behind the other two teams. I think more than being anticlimactic for TV, it causes production problems since Phil can't be in two places at once. So they rig it so that teams are all able to get to the pit stop within a certain time frame, but still allow the possibility for some drama.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth, I agree with you on the competition thing. My thought is, if it's a "race" make it a race. If it's voyeurism (ala Big Brother), take out the competition and the petty backstabbing, gossiping, whining, juvenile antics. That would make for some boring tv, but it shouldn't be aired in the first place. There. I said it. 8-}

    ReplyDelete