12/04/2006

Maybe Not Such A Great Idea, After All

Ever since the debacle with Spirit, I have switched to JetBlue for my little jaunts to school and, well, any other little jaunts I might take where JetBlue flies. Cause, wow, JetBlue is a great airline. One of the things that I enjoy the most is the TV.

Now, I know some of you are rolling your eyes at this, and that's fine. I was a scoffer like you until I experienced it for myself. But here's the thing, the older I get, the more prone to motion sickness I seem to be getting as well. It's been a gradual thing, but it started that I couldn't read when we were taxiing. Then I couldn't read while we took off. Then I couldn't read if it was minorly bumpy. Then if it got stuffy. Then if people were walking in the aisle. And so on, and so forth, until the reality became that I just couldn't read on a plane without an unstoppable urge to be sick. Which, in the overall scheme of things is not so conducive to reading. Or flying. Or really doing anything other than moaning quietly and wishing you were dead.

So for me, JetBlue has been wonderful. Because I seem to be ok with watching TV while in motion. And I have enjoyed my little jaunts with the ability to watch things that I might not otherwise waste my time watching (e.g. Miami Ink - a show about a tattoo parlor. Bizzarely fascinating in it's own weird way. But I'll never watch it at home.)

But last night on my flight home I realized why TV may not be the best thing on an airplane. I was sitting there, watching my Law and Order reruns when the guy in the aisle started gesticulating madly. Then he started shaking the chair and pounding the arm rest. His flailing arms caught one flight attendant as she passed (no spills, though, so that's good.) And then, when it seemed like it couldn't get much worse, he let out a string of harsh language (not foul, just harsh) and whacked the chair in front of him (in which his TV resided) causing the guy in front of him to be understandably upset. When explanations were given, it turns out that his football team was not doing so well and he forgot that he was, you know, in a public location that was in fact not a sports bar.

It was a fun flight home.

7 comments:

  1. Was the guy drinking? Maybe it's the alcohol that needs to be curbed, not the teevee. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless he got drunk before he came on the plane, no. He didn't even have a soda or chips when they came by with those. I think he was just passionate about his team.

    Can we outlaw testosterone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:44 PM

    My experience always seems to be that as soon as either a) the stewardesses start rolling with the food/drink cart or b) the screens flip on for the in-flight entertainment, the Turbulance Gods sense it and start shaking the plane about. It strikes me that a tee-vee feature would only encourage them more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robert, I think the turbulance gods give up when every seat has their own TV - JetBlue has had the smoothest flights ever. (Ahem - touch wood...you know, just in case.) Maybe they realize the futility of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried taking Dramamine before you fly? Or those acupressure wrist bands?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dramamine conks me out. Snooze city for the next...six hours? So that's really only a good option for long flights. I should try the wrist bands though - taht's a good idea. Remind me when next I travel, would you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:03 PM

    He forgot he was on a plane, in public? No I think he just really gets into the sport!

    I can't do the flying thing. Give me a car :)

    ReplyDelete