4/09/2007

Back in the Saddle Again

Today was my first day at my new job. I would like to tell you a wonderful story about how I went and my paperwork had been processed and they were ready for me and I had a desk and a computer and things to do. I would like to tell you that story, but the reality of life is that I went, they had to fumble around a little to realize that yes, I was actually supposed to be there. I got to sit in a conference room (where I will get to sit until my paperwork is processed. They're hoping that might happen this week. Notice the words "hoping" and "might" if you will.) While in the conference room I got to start reading manuals. It's thrilling. It makes me ponder deep questions like "Do you snore if you're sleeping sitting up?"

The people all seem reasonably nice. So that's a plus. The work, when I get to start it, sounds interesting and possibly even fun. (Let's not get nutty and raise our hopes or anything, but there's a possibility there, which is more than I can say was in my last job.) And it took me 25 minutes in the middle of rush hour to get there.

Let me just say that once more: It took me 25 minutes. In the middle of rush hour. To get there.

Insert Snoopy-esque happy dance right there.

Know what's even better? The drive home? Even with a major accident that had some lanes closed previously but had just been moved to the side? (And it was major - the one car looked to have had the door Jaws-Of-Life'd off.) 30 minutes.

Yeah, baby.

I'll shovel manure if I get that kind of commute.

Well, ok. I probably wouldn't actually shovel manure. But you get the idea.

30 minutes door to door is an idea I can fully get behind. The rest? Those are just details.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:12 PM

    Boo yah on the commute! Here's hoping that the rest of the week will be better. In any case, maybe you can bring along a magazine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad about the commute (says Yay!).
    Hope you get more interesting stuff to do soon (aka the paperwork goes through fast!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back to work. Glad about the commute (from a girl who has no real idea of traffic until she gets to a major metropolis, like for example, Houston/Dallas/San Antone...). (Really. It takes me 5 minutes to get to work in Midland.)

    Here's to a great "back at work rest of the week!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janie, I would kill for 5 minutes. But around here, 25 is a lot like 5. :) So thanks. So far the week is going well, if a tad slowly.

    Rach, thanks! Keep those fingers crossed for fast paperwork.

    Michelle, I rub in the commute time everytime I get home. Tim's getting a tad tired of it. But, well, you understand the enormity of it all.

    ReplyDelete