5/09/2007

I Need a House Elf

I was all set to just rewrite the lyrics to "I Need a Hero" but...call me lazy. Of course, now that I've mentioned the song, you'll all hopefully have it stuck in your head for a while - then you can sing along with me!

With all the Harry Potter I've been reading lately, I've come to the conclusion that I need a House Elf.(status: 1/4 into Order of the Phoenix; still loving it, though getting a bit tired of the teenage angst. That was my major complaint with the movie version of the Goblet of Fire - all the oh-so-typical teenage fighting and petty jealousy between Harry and Ron and then Harry and Ron and Hermionie. Not that it wasn't completely in character, necessary to the plot to some degree, or well acted/scripted - and if you include the book -/written. Just...I don't like reliving those hideous days in any way, shape or form and frankly, Rowling did too good a job of it. So, I'm getting close to reaching into the book to give Harry a swift kick in the arse with this whole moping "Where were they while I was doing all this great stuff" bit. Otherwise? Loving it.)

Now, I'd prefer Dobby. I'd even be happy to go ahead and provide him with a regular sock allowance and vacation time - I have no problem with that. Provided he's willing to fold my laundry and put it away and put supper together most nights and maybe even get the cobwebs at the top of the stairwell that I haven't quite worked out how to get rid of (my not-so-subtle hints to Tim about how tall he is while pointing them out are not getting picked up.) I'd be happy to keep the cleaning lady so Dobby wouldn't have to do all heavy lifting when it comes to cleaning. But seriously, how cool would it be to have a House Elf? Plus, I'd know that I'd be free from any weird magical creatures like boggarts. Always a plus.

I suppose, however, lacking an agreement with Dobby, I'd be ok with just about any old House Elf - provided they really did their work. (So that rules out the one I'm currently reading about, whose name escapes me.)

So that begs the question, given the entire cast of characters of the HP books, who would you want to come live with you and why? (Seriously, it begged the question - it's been a long, slow, boring Wednesday. This could potentially be the most interesting thing I get to read all day.)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:55 PM

    Dobby the house elf as house help is a good idea.

    (On a side note, I knew someone who had a puppy that she nicknamed Dobby because he'd always manage to knock himself in the head running into things and he had ears too big for his head.)

    I don't know about having her live with me, but I think I'd like Mrs. Weasley as a neighbor. I want to see those magic knitting needles at work, and she seems like a neat lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has given me considerable pause! I decided in the end that I would go with Fawkes! He can heal, he fetches and he's pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, I like the idea of Mrs. Weasley as a neighbor - she's the kind who would bring you cookies. A lot of cookies. And probably hugs.

    Rachel - Oooh! Fawkes is a good one. I've always loved Phoenix..(es? Is it Phoenixes? Or Phoenixi? Or Phoeni?)

    ReplyDelete