5/22/2007

Little Maids, All In A Row

I think I might have used that very same title last year, but it still comes to mind every time I sit and admire my garden. Gardening, for me, is proof that God loves us. I put things into the ground and then tend to ignore (and/or abuse) them, and yet they still (mostly) thrive and flourish. These flowers are not an indication of any gardening talent on my part. All the same, I'm thrilled with how lovely they're becoming as they grow in more each year.

This rose bush (above and below ) really hasn't bloomed until this year - now it's a veritable cascade of blossoms, though I'm not looking forward to lopping the deadheads - in fact, the way they've grown, I wonder exactly how I'm to go about it. Individually or as the stem? (Imagine a straight line and then little 1 inch stems topped by blooms - that's how they've grown. Any ideas?)

I just finished lopping deadheads on this (my favorite) rose bush (next 2 shots), so pictures of actual blooms were sparse, but it's still turning out well so far this year.


Here are some pretty little purple flowers. I have no idea what they are, I just thought they were pretty and bought them. They're blurry (it's not you) because I was half trying to get a picture of the three bees frolicking among the blooms and half terrified of the three bees frolicking among the blooms (I'm allergic to bee stings.)

No idea what these are either - though I think the white is Lily of the Valley? But they look pretty growing together and are little spritely, fairy flowers intermixed with the heavier-set flowers that otherwise dominate things around here.

Normally I don't like daisies...but these gerberas are just too pretty to be upset with. Don't they just make you smile?
Last, but not least, my Peony bush (I think it's a double something or other - see what a budding, ha!, horticulturist I am?) But I've got loads of blooms this year. Until now, my top production was 6.



Robbo already shared some garden photos. As did Michelle. If you have flowers growing, I'd love to see them!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:39 PM

    Beautiful, Beth! I admire your willingness to tackle roses. I posted a picture of our white peonies. Like you I was thrilled when they finally had lots of blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jennifer. You know, roses haven't been bad so far - they do better than most of my other plants because I get so much sun that most things just give up. The roses love it (or so far seem to). I do feed them, and I try to stay up on the deadheading, but otherwise, I just let them be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite lovely! But...did I see a snake head peeking out from behind one of the bushes?

    Oh, surely not. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric, if you can see me, know that I'm sticking out my tongue. Perhaps I'm just testing the vibrational qualities of the air...perhaps I'm just waggling it at you and rolling my eyes. Only time will tell. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flowers! I'm envious. Our peonies this year got frozen after the first round of buds and now, we only have a few blooms. :-( Same with the Iris flowers. I've only got a few flowers in pots, but will try to capture them at their peak and post what little I have. Nice work on your garden even if you won't admit it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your garden. It's lovely!! I just posted some of mine over at my place.

    Blessings on your day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:58 PM

    Very nice! You do a great job with roses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My garden is not that pretty due to winter...But remind in me summer!

    ReplyDelete