5/21/2007

Movie Review: The Break Up

Overcome by what can only in retrospect be termed "temporary insanity", I queued up The Break Up for our DVR on Saturday afternoon, thinking that it would provide a few hours of enjoyable fluff for some undisclosed point in the future.

Sunday afternoon after we finally trekked home from church and lunch, Tim headed off for a nap and as I wanted also to nap but understand that for me naps are poison, so I flipped on the TV. (I can only nap if I want to end up grouchy for the rest of the day and then not sleep that night. Watching useless TV provides the mental refreshment equivalent to napping without the insomnia and attitude problems.) First I ticked through various CSI season finales and was about to break down and watch The Break Up when Tim came down and plopped next to me on the couch. He was willing to watch with me, so we went ahead and hit play. I mention this only because watching with Tim was the only bright spot of the whole occurrence.

I'm not sure why I thought that I would enjoy a Jennifer Anniston movie. I inevitably think to myself, "Oh, that looks cute" when I see one of her movies advertised. I'm also inevitably disappointed/annoyed that I wasted yet more time thinking that one of these days she was going to play someone other than Rachel from Friends (or, let's go ahead and be realistic about the whole thing: Jennifer Anniston. She's a one-note wonder, but she's cute so she keeps getting scripts.) To use the words trite and unfunny seems not quite forceful enough. Plus, wasn't this supposed to be a romantic comedy of sorts? So what up with the ending? They wanted to try and get all realistic about it all? Please.

At the end, both Tim and I enjoyed the time together but also could think of several things that would have been better uses of time. Like sitting and watching a turned off TV. That would've been much more productive.

Negative 2 Stars. Cause it really sucked that bad.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:03 PM

    Wow. Have an opinion why don't ya! This was my favoritest movie. Ever!

    Right. I've actually never seen the movie. In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen a Jennifer movie.

    Nor have I ever understood the whole Jennifer thing, to be honest. You employed the term I've heard most regarding Miss A: cute. See, I don't even get that. She's not bad looking, I guess, and I've heard she has a great personality.

    She was the reason I never liked friends. The other members of the cast being the remaining reasons.

    Okay, that's enough snark. Your post inspired me, Beth. So I just got up and turned off the TV!

    I agree. Definitely better. And I don't even have a Tim here (er, I mean, a Joy, in my case).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have to wonder if she gets tired of herself...and please don't get the mistaken idea that I was ever a Friends fan. I caught a few reruns when there was nothing else to do.

    As for never having seen a JA movie, all I can say is Good for you, Jim, good for you. Cause there are now six hours of my life that I've wasted on something she was in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:36 PM

    Actually, I loved "Office Space." But then again, it's more of a cult film now. It's hilarious if you've never seen it. But only funny if you've ever worked in a cubicle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:03 PM

    That's right! Office Space! She was in that, her and her flair. I forgot.

    I've seen one Jenn movie, and I liked it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the Jennifer movie thing (but I'm not sure I've seen even one...I'd like to see Office Space) and the naps. Actually, I took my first nap in a long, long while yesterday and woke up feeling disoriented (is it really 7:30 in the morning?) and flu-like symptoms. I feel better today but used it as an excuse to stay home sick today. Naps do not suit me. At all. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also forgot she was in Office Space - which I love. But clearly not because she's in it. :) I think that may be one movie where she actually, you know, acts.

    ReplyDelete