5/01/2007

Why Cell Phones Are Good Things

So yesterday as I hacked and coughed myself back home from the doctor, I made a few quick stops. The first was to pick up another prescription at another doctor because they had said it would be ready any time for either Tim or me to pick up and - hey! I was out and about during times they were actually open. So, foolishly, I stopped and then got to wait for 40 minutes because for all their blabbing about it being ready to pick up, they actually hadn't gotten around to doing more than making a note that they needed to do it.

Then, since I was in the parking lot of this big medical complex that happens to also house my dentist, who was expecting to see me at four yesterday, I decided to drop by and just make sure that they didn't actually want to see me and my tonsillitis until I was, you know, not contagious. They quickly shooed me out the door with promises that no, they didn't, and I could call and reschedule at some other time and wasn't I just a sweetheart for stopping by to make sure in person.

I kinda think the last part was sarcastic.

Finally I arrived at the grocery store and as I pulled into the parking lot, I spied a handy spot nearish the door that I could pull through. So I started to pull in...and someone else with the same idea pulled in from the other side. So we each just parked and went about our merry ways. Well, I had to sit and wait for them to "fill" my prescription (and by fill, I mean grab a completely all packaged together Z-pack and print a label. Yeah, that takes 40 minutes.) and then after paying I toddled back out to my car. And so did the lady who was parked nose to nose with me.

At this point I was tired and my throat was hurting and I was still very dizzy and I just wanted to be at home as quickly as I could, preferably without damaging anyone with the automobile I probably shouldn't have been operating. So when I got in my car and she got in her car, I fumbled around in my purse and pulled out my cell phone, opened it as if I was answering a call. And then I sat, gesturing now and again, nodding, etc. while I had a lovely fake call until she gave up on me and backed out.

Then I pulled through the spot and went home.

I feel a tad guilty...but I think I'd do it again.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:09 PM

    Beth!

    I'm shocked. I assure you I've never done anything remotely like that, ever.

    :-|

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim...why don't I believe you? :) I have to say, it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one...I wonder what happens if you're both trying that trick - guess it boils down to who can hold out the longest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, cell phones are handy! Get better soon, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also haven't done the fake conversation on the cell phone - really I haven't hehe.

    ReplyDelete