8/10/2007

Friday Fiction


This Week’s Theme:

Use as many of the following 25 words as you can.
barge flare harsh ordinary sore
bore floor hoard rare torch
carve folklore lair scorn tore
fare gorge lord snare unicorn
flair hare marvelous soar warn
(I'm pretty sure I used them all)




She barged through the door to his lair, pushing her way ahead of the servant who shrunk away from the marvelous display of temper.

"My lord," she began, even as she swept into a deep curtsey that took her closer to the floor than truly necessary for a show of respect. In fact, her flair for the dramatic hid the scorn that lingered on the edges of her actions.

"Yes?" His voice was harsh and gravelly. He swiveled in his chair, his face remaining hidden in shadow, flickers of light from the nearby torch casting eerie shadows over his gnarled hands and spindly fingers that continuously stroked the rare and prized unicorn horn that had become his constant companion.

She straightened, swallowing to quell the rising of her gorge as he faced her. There was nothing ordinary about his appearance. He bore the oozing sore as a badge of honor and those who expressed revulsion did not fare well. "I have come to warn you. The folklore brought to you by Malinder was incomplete. Should you carve into the horn with the sharpened bone of a spring hare as instructed the result will not be the healing and immortality you crave."

His anger was reflected only by the flare of the torches in the room, his voice remained calm, "Malinder suggested you would bring me this news," one spindly finger tapped the horn, "he felt you would attempt to snare the horn and hoard immortality for yourself. Have you a defense?"

"My lord, I have ever been your faithful advisor, never seeking to advance myself and proving my loyalty time and again when those less faithful tore the veil, necessitating this quest. You know I had not part in this. Yet, if you have lost faith in me and choose instead to believe Malinder, then I can not and will not seek to defend myself. Instead, I will ask only to be released from your service."

Silence, interrupted only by the spitting of the torches and the clicking of a single fingernail against the horn, stretched across the room.

Finally, his finger stilled and the barest wheeze preceeded his gravelly voice, "Very well."

Her heart, beating frantically, began to soar as she whispered, "I am released?"

"No. I accept your warning. Bring to me the traitor Malinder and find the remedy you have sworn to provide."



get the Fiction Friday code

about Fiction Friday
Technorati tags: ,

9 comments:

  1. And so who was telling the truth? Whoever it was, I enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't decide...so I ended it there for now. Though I think there's more to the story that I'll try to get to. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:22 PM

    I like lose ended stories. Those are open for interpretations. enjoyed this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:29 PM

    Interesting. Wheels within wheels. Who is true and who is false? I liked this very much.

    Rose

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:20 PM

    I felt like I was in the room. You managed to create a fantastic setting and an intriguing situation. So imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was out of the park honey,, you did a terrific job of incorporating all the words,, and involving us in an excellent read at the same time... bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite lines: "...her flair for the dramatic hid the scorn that lingered on the edges of her actions."

    A nice read. I think you've managed to incorporate almost all the words in it. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, enjoyed this story. You set the scene well for us to draw our own conclusions, and I conclude it was she that lied. I read a tone into her voice...

    ReplyDelete