9/26/2007

End of Summer TV Thoughts

I've been marginally excited about the fact that this week is the season premier week for most of the shows we watch with any regularity. Of course, this has prompted us to try and clear out the DVR somewhat as it's currently clogged with the final episodes of our summer shows. So, unless you're as behind as we are, there are no spoilers below as most of these finales ran at least two weeks ago. Still, a few thoughts:

Psych - I love this show. Tim loves this show. It's just wonderful. The season finale was mostly just a typical episode but the "close talking" at the end between Shawn and Juliet was perfect. Because it wasn't sappy and romantic (totally out of character for the show) but still managed to be funny and sweet. If you like humorous shows and you're not watching Psych (on USA), you really should be. It runs off-season seasons - so it'll be back in January.

The Dead Zone - You'll recall I was concerned where they were going with this when the season started up. I have to say, it's all good. The bad guys are bad again. The good guys are good. Johnny and Sarah are looking like there's some potential there (though, honestly, I really wish he'd get together with the female psychic instead...but I think the symmetry of the kid situation etc. is going to push it into being Sarah.) I like the twist with JJ starting to have visions after a head injury (just like his dad), but I know some people are thinking it's too...pat? Regardless, I'm pleased and looking forward to the next season - though they're not posting anything about when it'll be back, so it's possible that they'll cancel it. (They went back and forth last year and finally did renew, but not after considerable nail biting on my end. Looks like we're in for that again this year. *sigh*)

Monk - I really liked the season finale this year. That said...it was pretty much the best episode all season. They really, really, really need to get on with the whole Trudy investigation angle - we need some breakthroughs. Otherwise, they need to fix Monk and call it a day. Because it's the same shtick...and it grows old. If not that, then we need some kind of twist, stat! (Maybe we could get rid of Natalie and find someone whose voice wasn't so incredibly annoying!)

Dr. Who - Ok, it's not over yet (yay!) but I just have to say it totally rocks! (Sorry, sometimes 80's expressions are necessary to adequately convey the wonderfulness that a show possesses.) This show just gets better and better and we are loving it to pieces. Again, if you haven't caught it, it's on both SciFi and BBCAmerica. (Though I will admit sometimes the episodes get a little too suspenseful and I have to leave the room and holler to Tim to tell me when it's not scary anymore and then give me a recap. What can I say? I'm a wuss.) I'm even warming to Martha, though she'll never be Rose. On the other hand, they're not trying to make her be Rose and that is a good decision.

Torchwood - Again, not over -- in fact, just basically started. This is on BBCAmerica and is a spinoff of Dr. Who. We watched the season premier last night and I have to say I'm intrigued. We'll see how it goes - but so far it's looking very Dr. Whoish, except set in Cardiff. I do like the fact that Captain Jack (from a couple of Dr. Who episodes) is in the series - very cool.

I think all that remains to be cleaned up is the season finale of Burn Notice (2 hours - may have to wait til this weekend) and then we'll have the green light to start in on the new shows. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:27 PM

    I loved Monk during the first season. In the second season, I liked it. After that I don't remember watching it.

    But the real question is, where is your desktop meme post. You promised (sort of)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kinda forgot - taking screen shot now, will post tomorrow. :)

    Monk...yeah. I don't know if I'll bother unless desperate next season.

    ReplyDelete