9/28/2007

A New Guilty Pleasure

I've recently found a new guilty pleasure, and it's name is America's Next Top Model. I don't really know what is so fascinating about this show, though I suspect it has something to do with feeling so incredibly foreign as to be almost alien. The world of fashion (or the giggly, stick-thin girls who love it) has never been someplace I've belonged. Give me a comfy (read: baggy) pair of jeans and a t-shirt (untucked, no belt) and some ugly shoes (read: Birkenstocks) and I'm good to go. In South Carolina both of the couples we hung out with the most were what had to be termed preppy. They wore khakis and polos as their "Saturday lounge around" clothes. Everything was tucked in. Belts matched shoes. And so on and so forth. I tried to adapt. (Mostly because one of the ladies was, shall we say, scornful of my "Comfort above all" approach to casual dressing and it was getting in the way of my ability to enjoy our time together.) But as soon as we moved, the khakis got put back into business casual rotation and the ratty sweats and baggy jeans were recovered from their drawer of exile.

My approach to people is similarly straight forward. If you are one of those people who dresses up who you are when you're out in public, then I probably will never "get you". Because I am who I am no matter where I am. (This isn't to say that I don't appreciate and practice tact. It's just that I really do try to not change personality based on the setting.)

Combine the two and what you have is the complete and polar opposite of anyone who has a chance of making it on ANTM. And probably the complete and polar opposite of the majority of the show's viewership.

I lay the blame for this new addiction on the shoulders of Lynellen, who first tuned me in to the fact that they were running re-runs of previous seasons on VH1. Once you get sucked in, you can't break the seal and swim away...it's just impossible. However, I do believe that it's possible that her addiction is more advanced than my own. Why, you ask? For evidence, I think all I need to do is point you to this. (Though I will totally admit to the fact that I found it hilarious.)

This season? I'm totally pulling for Heather because she's the closest thing to normal that I've seen in any of these girls as yet.

6 comments:

  1. Your image of getting "sucked in, you can't break the seal and swim away"... reminds me of a scene in "Titanic". Is ATNM the Titanic?

    I'm so glad I could bring some amusement to your otherwise dull and dreary work day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Dark Side. Michelle got me hooked, like, five "cycles" ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:37 PM

    Heh. I love ANTM! This cycle they did the Tyra impression early - usually the girls wait until they are down to 7-8 before they whip out the "I have 7 beautiful girls standing before me..." bit, but this cycle they did it in the first episode!

    I love ANTM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynellen, like I said earlier - you at least had that productivity to show for your day - I never even got that much done. :)

    Matt, good for Michelle...now why didn't you share the love? It's a rather pleasant diversion.

    Jaynee, I was kinda surprised they did it so early too -- though I guess on the 9th(?) cycle, everyone has at least seen it and knows how it's gonna go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this show, as well. And Heather is my favorite ANTM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched it for a solid week when in the hospital. And I mean a solid week - it was on VH-1 24 hours a day for one whole week. The only eps I missed were in the overnight hours when I slept. I don't know how many cycles I saw - I think it was the first 4.

    ReplyDelete