10/05/2007

Three Days Off...

Despite the whining (yes, I know I was whining) about having to swap one holiday for another, I do still get Monday off. So that's good...especially as I'm feeling a bit in need of a vacation. Realistically, we will spend the weekend doing homework and cleaning things off the DVR (we are SO behind...we watched The Office season premiere last night, but otherwise I don't think we've watched any of the shows we watch together. I've caught up on my CSIs and ANTM, but Tim won't watch those.) All things considered, that's a good use of our time. However, if I had my druthers (and traffic around here wasn't going to be so bad that you can legally be classified insane if you actually go out on the road this weekend) I would take one or more of the following day trips:

  • Colonial Williamsburg. I love Williamsburg...and as a bonus I could probably swing by and see my friend who is kinda near there.
  • Hillwood House. Tim hasn't been here yet for all that we've lived here seven years and that's simply just not acceptable. I love Hillwood and it's so close and just...wonderful.
  • The Pope-Leighey House. I really like Frank Lloyd Wright and I'm kind of surprised I've never been here...honestly that one is so close we might still work it in if it's open.
  • Falling Water. Another Wright home...a bit farther afield, but I'd still like to visit, and I think it'd still be do-able for a longish day trip (though probably better as an overnight.)
  • Polymath Park (and Duncan House) if we're up that way...might as well make it a Wright extravaganza and include Kentuck Knob as well!
  • Winterthur, Nemours, and Longwood Gardens. These are a tad farther away, but still quite do-able for a day trip (or even better, an overnight!) And I do love wandering through houses of the insanely rich from times long ago and seeing how "the other half"live.
  • The Newport Mansions. This is actually a bit of a stretch as it's definitely at least a weekend...but it's still on my list of places I must go soon. Must must must! Reference houses of insanely rich comment above.
  • Skyline Drive. A nice toodle down Skyline drive would be lovely...I would imagine the leaves have started turning quite nicely in the mountains. I also imagine that just about everyone who hasn't gone somewhere else has decided that very same fact.
  • Monticello. It's always a good time to see Monticello. Plus we could visit Tim's aunt and uncle who are totally rockin' folks.
  • Montpelier. I haven't been since they've finished the renovations...I'm guessing it's wonderful.
  • Mount Vernon. I haven't been to the new museum yet. This is another that's so close as to be shameful for not having visited, and one that we should probably try to take in soon!
For now, I think I'll have to content myself with browsing websites on homework breaks. Where would you go this weekend? (You can dream as big as you like...but I'm trying to keep it a tad realistic.)

4 comments:

  1. I guess I'd magically appear in Austin/San Antonio to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would join you on the tour of Wright homes. I absolutely love his work and all that is part of the Arts & Crafts movement of his time. Love it! And I've only been to one of his homes...the one in Oak Park (his studio). So that is what I would choose of the things you have listed. But for a more realistic destinations, I'd probably take a day trip to Jamestown, MO, our local Amish community. I love their quilts and antique shops and of course, their PIE. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:36 PM

    Hey at least you got the day off :) I'm stuck at work :( Right now some time off would be so great but oh well at least it's almost time to go home :)

    Hope you enjoyed your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete