10/09/2007

Weekend TV

Though I didn't get as much homework done this weekend as I would have liked (read: needed to get done), we did manage to catch up on some of the DVR recordings and I think we may actually be all the way through the last week of September - a.k.a. the season premiers. (Some of these were watched last week - we didn't spend every waking hour in front of the TV, I promise!)

Chuck - We've seen only one episode but thought it was cute and funny. We'll definitely keep it for a while - hopefully the story will continue to get better (rather than languishing in the land of stereotype - there is a distinct risk of that.)

Torchwood - Not sure if I've mentioned this one or not, though we've actually seen a few episodes of this. It's a Dr. Who spinoff, which already makes it fantabulous, but it's pretty well done so far and we're enjoying it quite a bit. It's a tad...racier I guess...than Dr. Who, but still very good.

Heroes - I watched the season opener with Tim even though I gave up on it a few episodes in last season. I'll try it again, as I'm intrigued. I just hope it manages to avoid spiraling down into soap opera melodrama (which is what I got irritated with last season). We shall see, the season premiere was good.

Moonlight - I read only bad things about this, so was tempted to just erase it without watching. I have to be the voice of dissent and say that it's not really that bad. No, it's not wonderfully fantastic, but it's not as horrid as I'd been led to believe. Of course, it is very Forever Knight, and I liked Forever Knight, so maybe that's the deal. (Though I can see how people who liked FK would whine and grumble about a rip off, but...well...I think it's started out well.) So I'll keep giving it a shot for a little while. (Tim even liked it, which is marginally surprising to me.)

Stargate Atlantis - Weak, weak, weak season opener. Bah. They're going to have to step it up quickly if they're going to keep me. (I'm guessing Tim will stay, though even he thought the first of the season was the definition of "eh".)

The Office - All I'm going to say is, "Everyone IN the car was fine, Stanley." Hilarious. As always.

Doctor Who - This is actually the second to last episode for the season. It was fantastic though and I have to plug yet again that if you're not watching this, you're seriously missing out. (Ahem, Lynellen.) I now have Voodoo Child stuck in my head and will most likely be taking a trip to iTunes when I get home to clicky myself a copy.

Numb3rs - The resolution to the whole Colby situation was good, though not really what I expected. It was fun to see Val Kilmer (though he really needs a personal trainer) briefly. It's a reasonably good diversion, but I won't cry if I miss an episode or two here or there.

The Next Iron Chef - I'm actually not all the way through this first episode yet (it just started Sunday) but I'm enjoying it so far. It's kind of a combination between Top Chef and The Next Food Network Star. Plus it has Alton Brown. This makes it automatically worth watching.

There are two new shows starting this week that have made the DVR list, we'll see how long they stay. First up is Women's Murder Club, based on the James Patterson novels. I'm a little behind on the books (last one I read was 4th of July) but Patterson is good fluffy reading, so I'm hoping for a reasonable adaptation to TV. We'll see. Second is The Gourmet Next Door, which is this year's Next Food Network Star winner's show (Amy Finley). I was thrilled she won, so I'll definitely watch her show - at least for a while.

2 comments:

  1. Heroes is just about to start over here. A week or two away I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:01 AM

    Patt loves Dr. Who and I love Numb3rs! I've always really liked that show! I'll also have to check out The Next Iron Chef...

    ReplyDelete