11/05/2007

I Still Think What I Thunk Before*

I know I've said this before, but I will say it again: I dislike football.

I have nothing against the game itself, honestly. In fact, I actually watched parts of two football games on Saturday night (the ND/Navy game that left my friend close to tears and just about fed up for good with ND this season and the LSU/Alabama game wherein Sabin got what was coming to him at the last second, leaving the same friend and his wife sticking out their tongues and hollering "Nanny-nanny-boo-boo" gleefully at the TV and trying to figure out just how many 'Beating Sabin in his own stadium...Priceless' t-shirt variations will hit the web today.)

No, what I dislike is the Sunday football games. The ones that always run longer than whoever sets up the TV schedule thinks they're going to run and consequently push back 60 minutes, which then cascades the problem onward for the evening. (Though it doesn't seem to go on forever - so at some point they adjust...when is that?) It was this tendency that killed my interest in watching Cold Case. It's a good show, but it's too huge a pain to have to try and figure out exactly how many extra hours of TV I should record because we all know the game is going to go at least 20 minutes over the time allotted. And now? Now they're messing with The Amazing Race.

So my proposal (the same one I made previously) is that either CBS stops showing football (which I know they can't/won't do because, for whatever reason, I do realize I'm in the minority and people actually enjoy watching it for hours on end on Sunday afternoons) or they can join 60 minutes already in progress. (Seriously, are there people out there who would be disappointed to not have a full 60 minutes of ridiculousness?) Or, if they really feel 60 minutes is worth saving, couldn't they just move any overtime pieces to a different channel and make the football people move? Or they could start the other shows on time on another channel and let us move on without knowing the outcome of the oh-so-critical pigskin game? Or, here's a nutty idea, they could just add an hour to the amount of time set aside for the game and adjust their schedule accordingly and then put in commentary and post-game filler for whatever time in that hour the game doesn't actually use. Cause you know there are people who would be happy to sit and blabber on for hours about the game, rehashing every little play and arguing about it. And there are people who would love to watch that. So it's win-win. And then I could set my timer to get The Amazing Race and it would actually be taping The Amazing Race rather than a piece about some dinkus who retired from HP, is bitter about the whole thing, and has a big boat.

Anyway. I adjusted the timer once I realized they were still babbling about boats and how being President is hard but if they were President they would be doing a better job than Bush even though they're admittedly not qualified for the job. (Seriously, this was the end little commentary on 60 minutes - what's the point in that? Oh yeah, gratuitous President bashing because he happens to be a Republican and is therefore evil.) So maybe I'll get to watch it tonight, in which case, I may have thoughts on the teams forthcoming tomorrow.

*Spot the quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment