1/24/2008

Shouldn't Graduate Students Know This?

I was reviewing some of the stuff posted by a few team members last night since we're scooting closer to the deadline and they're finally pitching in. And I clicked on the link that they included at the bottom of the page as their reference. And the web page it pulled up contained the exact same thing as what they wanted to turn in. Word. For. Word.

After I was able to push my jaw shut I had to wonder exactly what planet they've been on that they think copying and providing a link to the original is still not plagiarism. If it's anything, it's stupid plagiarism, since you're showing the teacher exactly what you stole.

So I posted a note saying that we needed to synthesize and restate the info for our project and another student responded that they weren't clear what I meant by "wholesale copying".

We're so failing this project.

5 comments:

  1. I assigned an optional paper to my Geometry class this past fall, simply a three-page bio of a mathematician. Never having assigned a paper before, I didn't think I actually had to say, "Don't copy stuff off the internet." I was wrong.

    It was fairly obvious which students had cut-and-pasted, too; they were the ones whose grammar and sentence structure weren't atrocious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:36 PM

    that's very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are kidding me! There is something very wrong with that picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel slaps head - says Duh! Wonders whether said student was dropped as a baby?

    ReplyDelete
  5. See my story about this topic here:

    http://lynellen.blogspot.com/2008/01/irony.html

    ReplyDelete