1/28/2008

Sometimes Being An Introvert Sucks

You know those dreams where you're standing in the middle of a crowded place (mall, school, street, whatever) and you're completely naked and everyone is pointing and staring at you? That's how I felt at church yesterday. Tim wasn't feeling well due to a combination of being tired and being stressed about schoolwork, so since I was up and reasonably put together, I decided The Boy and I could hit up church on our own. And logistically everything was fine (other than the whole having to park on the street because the lot was full and then lug the carseat for what felt like miles - dang those things are heavy!) But oh! The pain of having a shiny, new baby!

Everyone wants to flock around the baby and ooh and ahh - and I know they were genuinely excited about him, part of that is because apparently the grapevine filled everyone (well, most everyone - I still had a few people telling me how great I looked for having a three week old) in on the whole situation. And it's great - I'm not ungrateful (I know it sounds like I am, but I really am not!) - it was just really uncomfortable for me. Because the thing I hate just about more than anything in the world is being the center of attention in a group of people I don't know very well. (I have no trouble being the center of attention amongst friends, mind you.)

On my way home all I could think is that honestly? I could do without all the fanfare and hoopla, because frankly it was just exhausting and embarrassing. Luckily, one of the popular couples is due to give birth any day now, so hopefully that will rectify the problem.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, it happens. But what's funny is how quickly the focus is totally on the baby and not you. I'll go to see my parents, and the children are definitely the focal point. Me? Not so much. I'm the one carrying the diaper bag, etc. But I don't mind any more--I'm used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how I would feel, completely exhausted about being the center of attention. It's nice that people care, but really, I'd rather they do so quietly, you know? And how is one supposed to take the comments that you "look really good for having a 3-week old?" That's a touchy one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's really all about the baby. You'll get kicked to the curb in no time. =) You'll be like an extension of the carseat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The more the attention flocks to Joshua, the happier I'll be! Bring it on. :)

    Gwynne - I just assume that they mean that I look like I was 9 months pregnant last week (or in this case, 3 weeks ago.) SO...yeah, chubby is a nice word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you leave out the part where you're wearing sun-god robes and people are throwing little pickles at you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is hard being in that situation. Hope it's over quickly for you!

    ReplyDelete