2/28/2008

Becoming A Reality Junkie

It wasn't that long ago that I scoffed heartily at those folks who were so into so-called reality TV. And I still classify it as "so-called reality", cause really...it's reality like The Real World has anything to do with the actual Real World. Anyway...I have slowly been sucked in. It started with The Amazing Race, then Hell's Kitchen, then Top Chef (new season starts soon!), then Project Runway...and then, well, then I hit a new low with America's Next Top Model. Oh, what a guilty pleasure that is. I'm not sure why I enjoy it like I do...but there we have it. And a new season of backstabbing and adulation of Tyra has just begun. Woo!

In an effort to reclaim a little of my self-respect by finding a reality show that is slightly less vapid than ANTM (cause seriously? ANTM kind of embodies the definition of vapid), and because I stumbled across it just as it started (and really...what's not to love about a cooking competition?) my newest addiction is the BBC America reality show Last Restaurant Standing. Is anyone else watching this? It's super cool. (Plus it has British accents...which makes everything better...I would watch grass grow if it was narrated in a good British accent.)

Anyway, the premise is that 9 couples with no restaurant experience are given a restaurant (and presumably some start up money for various expenses) to run with the final prize being a restaurant venture backed by Raymond Blanc (who is apparently a famous chef and restaurateur, though I have never heard of him...which means absolutely nothing. I hadn't heard of Gordon Ramsay before I started watching Hell's Kitchen.) Essentially they then are in charge of putting together the menu, cooking the food, hiring the staff, and, well, running the place. They're given challenges each week (such as creating signature cocktails and desserts with an eye on making profit) and then the three worst performing couples (as determined by performance and reviews by inspectors who visit during dinner service and rate the food and talk to customers and just generally observe) are selected to participate in a challenge to prove that they deserve to stay. The couple that loses is shut down.

So far, it's really interesting to see just how little experience and know-how some of the couples participating really have...one who sticks out in my mind is the couple whose head chef would rather spend time setting up and playing with the jazz band than in the kitchen. Um. Yeah.

Anyway, if you get BBC America and are into cooking type competitions...I recommend this as a good break from the wasteland that TV has become since the writer's strike.

10 comments:

  1. Welcome to ANTM fandom.

    You can check out anytime you like... but you can never leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, it still amuses me that you watch...I can't get Tim to even be where he can hear it when it's on. Though he did watch some of Project Runway...so he's caving slowly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a total Project Runway convert. I also admit that I watch Make Me a Supermodel, which is also strangely addicting. :) Gotta love Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So when can we expect you to submit your application for the Last Restaurant Standing show?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I plan to try out for American Gladiators....Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree on the ANTM guilty pleasure. My sanity (and boredom) when in the hospital was saved by a marathon on VH-1. I watched it 24/7 for a week. Completely addicting and awesome. I have not watched any of the new season - need to set up the DVR to record it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, I've caught a few reruns of Make Me a Supermodel and have to agree with you...strangely addicting. :)

    Lynellen...ah, dare to dream. Of course, I'm not sure how Tim'd do as front of house manager. And, honestly, seeing the difference between cooking for friends and cooking for a restaurant...we'd be the first ones out the door, most likely. :)

    Rod - are you really? Cool.

    Jen, definitely set up the DVR. This season (ok, ok, fine, Cycle) is looking to be chock full of drama.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, maybe you and I could apply instead of Tim, then :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:27 PM

    I don't know...My wife loves the reality shows, but they stress me out. I have enough problems of my own, so I don't like living other people's problems, I guess. (Well, if I can't help them.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, if Alan Rickman were to narrate paint drying I'd have to watch. :-)

    I'm into the dancing shows. Dancing with the Stars starts up in less than a couple of weeks, and I'm excited. It's kind of a placeholder show 'til So You Think You Can Dance? hee.

    ReplyDelete