2/22/2008

Book Boredom

It's sad, really, but I'm in the middle of three books and all three have completely lost me. What's more sad is that for two of the three, I had very high expectations. Of course, that could be part of the problem, I realize, but still...

I'm going to keep trying to push through them, but in the mean time I may end up doing some re-reading of old favorites to reawaken my joy in books. Does anyone else do this? It seems to be a trend for me...I just get tired of the new and reach for the old familiars. The ones that I can sit down with and easily skip a page without it mattering a bit, because I know them so well. They're old friends, with a history, and require so much less effort than forging new friendships, when all the unknowns and potentials for disappointment have yet to be discovered. Sometimes it's exactly the opposite - I crave something new, because there's so much potential there - and you might find a brand new jewel, a new favorite to add to the pile of old favorites. And then, even if you hit disappointment, it doesn't matter quite as much because the discovery is half the fun.

And these new, not quite interesting books, will still be there when I emerge from the rereading frenzy. Maybe by then they'll be good.

2 comments:

  1. I've always admired your capacity to read as much as you do, and so quickly. I almost never re-read books. It's not as rare as re-watching favorite movies, but it's rare. Unless it's a book that I will get more out of each time, like anything by C.S. Lewis, I can't make myself sit still long enough to re-read a favorite book. I keep it on the shelf though...I can't bear to get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if you ever need book reccommendations - email me! After all, it's what I do hehe.

    ReplyDelete