7/17/2008

Solids and Sleeping and Snakes, Oh My! (Part II)

The sleeping woes were what was on the forefront of my mind when I wrote the post yesterday and got distracted by the whole pear saga. And then last night he slept all night. Not a peep out of him til 5:45 when the dog barked (for no reason. Grr.) But then he went right back to sleep until 7. I'm hoping that becomes the new trend...because the old trend was seriously going to drive me to drink.

The old trend went something like this:
5:30 a.m. - Wake for day. No amount of cajoling or crying on mommy's part will sway that decision.
8:00 a.m. - Take "morning nap", which was defined as 15 - 20 minutes of "I'm so tired but I Must. Not. Sleep. So instead, I will scream. See what a lovely vocal range I have?" followed by a crash and 40ish minutes of sleeping. Barely enough to lessen the circles under the eyes, but hey, done anyway.
12:30 p.m. - Take "afternoon nap" -- strikingly similar to "morning nap" except that sleeping duration would happily be extended if mommy gave up and held me. Cause napping in the crib is so passe.
5:00 p.m. - Begin the croon of the tired. For those of you not in the loop, it goes something like this, "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmoowwwmmm." over and over and over at increasing levels on both the volume and patheticness scales. No amount of soothing will stop the crooning. Being held will quiet it somewhat.
5:30 p.m. - Commence eye rubbing.
6:45 p.m. - Lay in crib after bedtime ritual shrieking as if great torture is being heaped upon the head.
7:30 p.m. - Sleep. Blessed sleep.
11:00 p.m. - Wake up. Because mommy has finally just gotten to sleep and we can't allow that to happen.
2:30 a.m. - Wake up. Nothing's wrong. But again, mommy is sleeping and we can't have that.
3:45 a.m. - Ditto.
5:30 a.m. - Another day, another step closer to sleep deprivation.

We still need to work on the whole napping thing, but I'm crossing my fingers that the night time thing is on its last legs.

As for the snake. Well, the other day Tim goes out to water the lawn and comes back in muttering.

Me: What's wrong?
Him: Stupid freaking brand new hose grumble mumble.
Me: What happened to the hose?
Him: The stupid mice chewed through it.
Me: Mice? What mice?
Him: The ones nesting in the hose roller.
Me: ...
Him: Yeah, I hadn't mentioned them to you.
Me: ...
Him: ...?
Me: So...we need mousetraps or the beepy thing that drives them away?
Him: Nah, I'll just put some poison out for them. But hey, look on the bright side...at least we know why we have a snake.

So...I'll just put all vermin (which I consider pretty much any wildlife that slithers or scampers) on notice. Go. Away. Please. I really don't want to have to move.

1 comment:

  1. They do this just to make us crazy. I feel your pain--last night it was 7:30, 11:30, 3:30, and 5:30. The night before was no wake-ups until 6:15 a.m.

    Babies. Unpredictable as always. But one little gummy smile and we really don't care.

    ReplyDelete