7/18/2008

Dare We Dream?

So...for the last two nights, Joshua has slept from the time we put him down (usually between 6:45 and 7:30, depending on how tired he is) until 6:45 or 7:15 in the morning! I'd forgotten how delightful it is to get a full night of sleep.

Here's the dilemma...we changed several things all at the same time (I know, I know, bad geeks! We did not apply the scientific method and change only one variable. I blame sleep deprivation.) So now...we're not sure what fixed it.

First, Jen and Beau were over for supper on Monday (mostly to return the Ergo but I'm hoping also because they enjoy our company - we certainly enjoy theirs!) and Jen brought some diapers that Jesse had outgrown, among them Pampers. He was wearing a Pamper the first night he slept through.

Second, I decided that if the poor kid needed to eat midway through his evening (which, honestly, after I counted the hours I wanted him to go without eating...he needs to be eating once in there still) I was going to see if I could make it on my schedule rather than his. So after I got ready for bed, I snuck in, changed him (into the Pamper) and then fed him. He slept basically through the whole process (even the eating) and, after draining the bottle went right back to sleep.

So, was it moving the feeding/changing earlier that did it? Was it that Pampers hold more? Was it all three? I don't know! But because I don't want to find out the hard way, I went and bought Pampers tonight and they'll be his "bedtime" diapers. (I do think they are part of the solution - the weight range on Pampers size 3 is about 5 pounds more than the weight range on the Kirkland size 3 we buy. So possibly moving to a size 4 Kirkland at night would have the same net effect. We may try that after we go through the Pampers. But when something fits a kid 5 pounds longer than the other brand, it's gonna hold more.) Though I also think sneaking the feeding in there is helping as well.

Regardless..w00t!

5 comments:

  1. Knowing when to bump them up to the next size diaper is always a non-scientific process. Usually by the time I do it, I'm smacking myself for not doing it earlier.

    Yay on the good night's sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for sleep.

    Let me assure you that we do enjoy your company. Thanks again for dinner! We were afraid we overstayed our welcome since the wee one was so out of it, but we enjoyed our time with you, as always.

    Glad the diapers helped. We switched to Luvs since at BJs they're only a couple bucks more than the B&J brand and there are a few more diapers in the box. Here's hoping the larger diaper is the fix.

    However, here's a tip I discovered the other day for when the diaper fits, but won't absorb all that is required overnight - take a maxi pad and stick it to the diaper at the top-front to collect any extra that he may pee in the overnight hours. I've made mental note of this in case we have another boy at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beau reminded me of one other thing - for a while we were using two kinds of diapers. We used the cheaper diapers during the day and the premium (Pampers) only at night. I think we started that for two reasons - cost and also for Jesse's little bottom, which seemed more prone to diaper rash when in the cheapo diapers for long stretches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're not usually subtle when people overstay their welcome, so if you ever do (doubtful) you'll know. :)

    Hey -- do you remember what *kind* of pampers those were? And LOL on the maxipad. I may just have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, we'll be on the lookout for the "it's time for you to go" signals in the future. :lol:

    On the pampers, I think they're the Swaddlers kind - in the yellow box?

    ReplyDelete