8/25/2008

Crawling is for Babies!

Things have been interesting around here for the past few days. Joshua has been teetering on the edge of crawling for probably two full months now, finally working his way up to a very consistent propulsion mechanism whereby he pulls with his hands and pushes with his toes without really needing the whole bending of the knee thing. This successfully gets him where he feels he needs to go, and here's where it gets interesting, because where he feels he needs to go these days is anywhere that will allow him to pull up.

As I was typing the above he pulled himself first to his knees and then to his tippy toes no fewer than six times. If you happen to be what he's pulling up on (the most frequent occurrence these days) he will, upon gaining his feet, grin hugely at you and attempt to step.

I think he's going to skip the whole crawling stage and head straight to running.

My mom has told me numerous times that skipping crawling used to be considered an indicator for literacy difficulties. I'm thinking this is likely a myth as crawling isn't even listed as a milestone anymore, but, well, if you know that it's a myth, I'd be happy to hear about it. The boy is the most verbal creature you've ever encountered, so there's certainly no logic to any concern. But if you're a mom, you'll know that doesn't stop you from worrying a tad.

Beyond that -- I think it's time to batten down the hatches around here, cause Joshua is on the move!

3 comments:

  1. My boy started doing the pulling up and wanting you to hold his hands while he "walked." But all of a sudden, one day he figured out the crawling and he does both. My daughter did cruising much sooner than she figured out crawling. I think they go with whatever means is fastest to get where they want to. :)

    Start rubber-banding those cabinets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never crawled and I taught mysewlf to read at 2.5.... I think it's a myth. In fact, I never heard it.

    Good luck with the babyproofing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard that either. Our youngest skipped crawling (choosing to walk like a crab with her hands and feet until she was comfortable on just her feet, but never actually crawling on her knees) and is one of the most literary children I've known. She's also a big dare devil, so beware of that! ;-)

    ReplyDelete